Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Multiple server access jdbc/servlet

Multiple server access jdbc/servlet

Ike

If I have an applet, which is donwloaded to the local machine from server
A, and calls a servlet on server B.....can that servlet, via JDBC, access a
database on server C, assuming each of server's A, B and C are on separate
machines with separate URLs ?

Thanks, Ike

Jeff

If the applet is downloaded from server A, that applet can only
make requests from server A. So you've got a problem trying
to call server B from the applet. However, a servlet can access
any other server. Servlet code runs on your server and is not
restricted in where it can make connections.
--
Jeff
jlar310 at yahoo

"Ike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:6Oeub.7184$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> If I have an applet, which is donwloaded to the local machine from server
> A, and calls a servlet on server B.....can that servlet, via JDBC, access a
> database on server C, assuming each of server's A, B and C are on separate
> machines with separate URLs ?
>
> Thanks, Ike

Andrew Thompson

> "Ike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

news:6Oeub.7184$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> > If I have an applet, which is donwloaded to the local machine from

server
> > A, and calls a servlet on server B.....

> If the applet is downloaded from server A, that applet can only
> make requests from server A. So you've got a problem trying
> to call server B from the applet.

(Top-posting corrected)

Signed applets can access servers other
than the originator. A signed applet can
break out of most of the limits usually
placed on applets.

--
Andrew Thompson