Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Defeating Popup Stoppers

Defeating Popup Stoppers

Bill

Hello Programmers,
I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers

e.g It will bring up a window that will
LOOK like a Pop-up
FEEL like a Pop-up
Allow a name and e-mail entry
BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer, Yahoo anti-popup script
etc

Bill

Joona I Palaste

Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled the following:
> Hello Programmers,
> I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
> to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers

First of all, you're off-topic, second of all, I hope no one replies.
Pop-up advertisements are scum.

"How can we possibly use sex to get what we want? Sex IS what we want."
- Dr. Frasier Crane

chaos

funny...

Bill wrote:
> Hello Programmers,
> I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
> to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers
>
> e.g It will bring up a window that will
> LOOK like a Pop-up
> FEEL like a Pop-up
> Allow a name and e-mail entry
> BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer, Yahoo anti-popup script
> etc
>
> Bill

Tim Tyler

Joona I Palaste <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted:
> Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled the following:

>> I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
>> to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers

> First of all, you're off-topic, second of all, I hope no one replies.
> Pop-up advertisements are scum.

I'm not sure it is *that* off-topic - since Java applets can pop-up their
own windows - and can thus be used to defeat most pop-up stoppers that
don't disable all Java applets.

The fact that untrusted Java applets can wallpaper the user's desktop
with mountains of garbage is lamentable - of course.
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Remove lock to reply.

Mickey Segal

"Tim Tyler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm not sure it is *that* off-topic - since Java applets can pop-up their
> own windows - and can thus be used to defeat most pop-up stoppers that
> don't disable all Java applets.

Google has told me that the Google Toolbar's blocking of browser windows popped
up from Java applets is a bug. More details at:
http://www.segal.org/java/pop_window/
http://www.segal.org/java/pop_window2/

Google claims to distinguish between user-initiated pop-ups, which are allowed,
and others, which are not allowed. I don't know how they plan to implement that
for Java's showDocument.

At the minimum Google needs to fix the bug whereby the yellow explosion warning
cursor does not appear in a Frame (pop_window2 example).

Tim Tyler

Mickey Segal <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted:
> "Tim Tyler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> I'm not sure it is *that* off-topic - since Java applets can pop-up their
>> own windows - and can thus be used to defeat most pop-up stoppers that
>> don't disable all Java applets.

> Google has told me that the Google Toolbar's blocking of browser
> windows popped up from Java applets is a bug. More details at:
> http://www.segal.org/java/pop_window/
> http://www.segal.org/java/pop_window2/

Hah!

More likely Sun's facility to pop-up windows is the bug.

They are begging for black widow applets and advert attacks.

If their technology is trodden on by anti-advertising measures,
they have only themselves to blame.

Untrusted Java and Javascript's ability to pop-up windows over the
user's desktop provides the ability to launch DOS attacks on the user
from a web page - and cause substantial irritation. These things
are bad news.
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ (E-Mail Removed) Remove lock to reply.

Mickey Segal

"Tim Tyler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> More likely Sun's facility to pop-up windows is the bug.

On further testing, the yellow explosion cursor is absent:
http://www.segal.org/java/pop_window2/
only using Microsoft's JVM, not Sun's JVM. But in both cases showDocument's
effect is blocked.

Defeating pop-up stoppers? Bill Java 10 01-03-2004 04:37 PM
Defeating pop-up stoppers please? Bill Javascript 51 12-15-2003 10:30 PM
Defeating Pop-up stoppers please? Bill Java 23 11-21-2003 10:15 AM
Defeating Pop-up stoppers please? Bill HTML 71 11-14-2003 09:12 PM
Defeat popup stoppers? Bill HTML 30 11-14-2003 07:26 AM

Advertisments