Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Defeating pop-up stoppers?

Defeating pop-up stoppers?

Bill

Hello Programmers,
I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers

e.g It will bring up a window that will
LOOK like a Pop-up
FEEL like a Pop-up
Allow a name and e-mail entry
BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer, Yahoo anti-popup script
etc

Bill

Alex Hunsley

Bill wrote:
> Hello Programmers,
> I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
> to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers
>
> e.g It will bring up a window that will
> LOOK like a Pop-up
> FEEL like a Pop-up
> Allow a name and e-mail entry
> BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer, Yahoo anti-popup script
> etc
>
> Bill

Wrong newsgroup, and no, you can't defeat good popup stoppers.
<sarc>
What a *huge* shame.
</sarc>

Tim Tyler

Alex Hunsley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted:
> Bill wrote:

>> I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
>> to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers
>>
>> e.g It will bring up a window that will
>> LOOK like a Pop-up
>> FEEL like a Pop-up
>> Allow a name and e-mail entry
>> BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer, Yahoo anti-popup script

[...]

> Wrong newsgroup, and no, you can't defeat good popup stoppers.
> <sarc>
> What a *huge* shame.
> </sarc>

Java applets can pop-up their own windows

If the pop-up stopper doesn't kill all Java applets, then it is
likely that an applet can be used to generate pop-up windows.
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Remove lock to reply.

Alex Hunsley

Tim Tyler wrote:

> Alex Hunsley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted:
>
>>Bill wrote:

>>>I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
>>>to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers
>>>
>>>e.g It will bring up a window that will
>>>LOOK like a Pop-up
>>>FEEL like a Pop-up
>>>Allow a name and e-mail entry
>>>BUT is not affected by Popup Stopper, PopUp Killer, Yahoo anti-popup script

> [...]
>

>>Wrong newsgroup, and no, you can't defeat good popup stoppers.
>><sarc>
>>What a *huge* shame.
>></sarc>

> Java applets can pop-up their own windows
>
> If the pop-up stopper doesn't kill all Java applets, then it is
> likely that an applet can be used to generate pop-up windows.

<sssh! don't tell him that, he'll get ideas!>

alex

Thomas Schodt

Personally, I find what redsheriff does
just as offensive as pop-ups.

Tim Tyler

Alex Hunsley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted:
> Tim Tyler wrote:

>> Java applets can pop-up their own windows
>>
>> If the pop-up stopper doesn't kill all Java applets, then it is
>> likely that an applet can be used to generate pop-up windows.

> <sssh! don't tell him that, he'll get ideas!>

Advertisers will catch on to the trick eventually - with or without my
assistance.

I'd welcome *more* noise about the issue. That way, the problem might
stand a chance of getting fixed.
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ (E-Mail Removed) Remove lock to reply.

David Robbins

"Tim Tyler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alex Hunsley <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted:
> > Tim Tyler wrote:

> >> Java applets can pop-up their own windows
> >>
> >> If the pop-up stopper doesn't kill all Java applets, then it is
> >> likely that an applet can be used to generate pop-up windows.

> > <sssh! don't tell him that, he'll get ideas!>

> Advertisers will catch on to the trick eventually - with or without my
> assistance.
>
> I'd welcome *more* noise about the issue. That way, the problem might
> stand a chance of getting fixed.

just disable java, and javascript, and flash, and ocx, and vb script, and
..net apps, and any other language that runs on the client side and you may
be able to stop all sources of pop-ups. but then you might as well go back
to surfing the web with a character based browser.

Roedy Green

On Wed, 5 Nov 2003 15:53:17 +0800, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote or quoted :

>Hello Programmers,
>I am looking for either Java Script (OR HTML etc)
>to DEFEAT Pop-up Stoppers

Is this not a bit like asking me how to break into my house so you can
come in and vandalise it? Get stuffed!

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Tim Tyler

David Robbins <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted:

> just disable java, and javascript, and flash, and ocx, and vb script, and
> .net apps, and any other language that runs on the client side and you may
> be able to stop all sources of pop-ups. but then you might as well go back
> to surfing the web with a character based browser.

It's possible to partially disable many of the offending technologies.

The Proxomitron - for instance - is quite effective at allowing you
to progressively disable JavaScript features - so you can turn off
only the features that are offensive to the user.
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ (E-Mail Removed) Remove lock to reply.

NOBODY

Just use a real browser, mozilla 1.5, with adblock 0.5 extension.

You can block anything by url (* masked and powerfull regex)
It also has a context menu adblock image, adblock iframe, and a list of
blockable elements so that you can make adblock learn more easily. Its
like (but better than) a filtering proxy server, but without that extra
hop and troubles of a proxy or firewall filtering setup or extra cpu
work.

A HUGE RELIEF, thanks to those developpers.

"David Robbins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):