Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > EntityBeans Performance

EntityBeans Performance

Ray

Hi,

Can anyone here share their experiences with EntityBeans? I heard that
there is a performance issue using it since an instance of an
EntityBean represents a row in a table and updating 10,000 rows means
instantiating 10,000 EBs.

Is it a good idea to use EntityBeans?

-Ray

Bjoern

Ray wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can anyone here share their experiences with EntityBeans? I heard that
> there is a performance issue using it since an instance of an
> EntityBean represents a row in a table and updating 10,000 rows means
> instantiating 10,000 EBs.
>
> Is it a good idea to use EntityBeans?

It's not a good idea to use them just to represents rows in a table. I
think they are meant to encapsulate more 'coarse grained' business
logic/functionality. I guess 'updating 10000 rows' could be an example
for such a function. Even Sun themselves recommend using extra Data
Access Objects for some kinds of Database use.

It's definitely easy to get it wrong with entity beans and really create
performance issues.

Bjoern

--

Let's not weep for their evil deeds,