Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Time discrepancy between java and native

Time discrepancy between java and native

Gopal

Hi,

I am having a embedded system running on Linux. I am having a strange
problem with time between java world and native system. Java time is
22 seconds ahead of native time.
When I see the time in second from epoch time both native and java
world matches. But I display the time as string java time is 22sec
more than native time.
Do anyone have anyclue, why would this happen?

Gopal

Harald Hein

"Gopal" wrote:

> Do anyone have anyclue, why would this happen?

Just a guess. Check how you have configured the Linux system. Are you
using the posix time zone definition? Do you use or ignore leap
seconds?

Gopal

Harald Hein <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<Xns942454D114B18hhtoken@194.97.5.10>...
> "Gopal" wrote:
>
> > Do anyone have anyclue, why would this happen?

> Just a guess. Check how you have configured the Linux system. Are you
> using the posix time zone definition? Do you use or ignore leap
> seconds?

How can I check whether I am using or ignoring leap seconds?

Gopal

Phil...

maybe you are referring to a different object from what you think you are
what does your code look like

"Gopal" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Hi,
>
> I am having a embedded system running on Linux. I am having a strange
> problem with time between java world and native system. Java time is
> 22 seconds ahead of native time.
> When I see the time in second from epoch time both native and java
> world matches. But I display the time as string java time is 22sec
> more than native time.
> Do anyone have anyclue, why would this happen?
>
> Gopal

Dario

Gopal wrote:

> I am having a embedded system running on Linux. I am having a strange
> problem with time between java world and native system. Java time is
> 22 seconds ahead of native time.

Here 22 is magic!

Because since the first leap second in 1972, all leap seconds have been
positive and there were 22 leap seconds in the 27 years to January,
1999. This pattern reflects the general slowing trend of the Earth
due to tidal braking.

See http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/leapsec.html

- Dario