Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Problems running on unix

Reply
Thread Tools

Problems running on unix

 
 
doofus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2003
Greetings All!

I am a relative newcomer to this group and I very much hope this request
is not out of place. If so, please do not hesitate to let me know.

I wonder whether there would be amongst you a unix or linux user kind
enough to try running my code. Right now, I only have access to Windows
2000, on which it runs perfectly well. I am told it gives the error
'cannot resolve symbol "outputarea"' on unix. This I find puzzling
because the precise symbol "outputarea" does not occur anywhere in my
java source.

I would be most grateful if someone would, in the first instance, simply
attempt to try running the class files to see if they run.

I have placed both the source and class files in a zip file on my
webspace. In an effort to make it easier I have also uploaded the files
in .tar.gz format.

http://homepages.lobstermail.co.uk/l...rname/Lab6.zip
http://homepages.lobstermail.co.uk/l...me/Lab6.tar.gz

To run the program, extract all the files into a single directory and
issue the following command from that directory.

java Lab6 numbers.txt

You can get an idea of what it should look like from the screenshot in
Lab6.gif.

Many thanks for your patience.

best, doofus



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Nils O. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sel=E5sdal?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2003
In article <bn9r99$urlht$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, doofus wrote:
> Greetings All!
>
> I am a relative newcomer to this group and I very much hope this request
> is not out of place. If so, please do not hesitate to let me know.
>
> I wonder whether there would be amongst you a unix or linux user kind
> enough to try running my code. Right now, I only have access to Windows
> 2000, on which it runs perfectly well. I am told it gives the error
> 'cannot resolve symbol "outputarea"' on unix. This I find puzzling
> because the precise symbol "outputarea" does not occur anywhere in my
> java source.

He's perhaps using an old java version ?
> I would be most grateful if someone would, in the first instance, simply
> attempt to try running the class files to see if they run.
>
> I have placed both the source and class files in a zip file on my
> webspace. In an effort to make it easier I have also uploaded the files
> in .tar.gz format.
>
> http://homepages.lobstermail.co.uk/l...rname/Lab6.zip
> http://homepages.lobstermail.co.uk/l...me/Lab6.tar.gz
>
> To run the program, extract all the files into a single directory and
> issue the following command from that directory.
>
> java Lab6 numbers.txt
>
> You can get an idea of what it should look like from the screenshot in
> Lab6.gif.
> best, doofus

seems to run Ok here, RedHat Linux 8.0
The image doesn't look quite the same, see here:
http://utelsystems.dyndns.org/screenshot.jpg

I tested with
[noselasd@nos-rh tmp]$ java -version
java version "1.3.1"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build Blackdown-1.3.1-02b-FCS)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build Blackdown-1.3.1_02b-FCS, mixed mode)

and

[noselasd@nos-rh tmp]$ /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_01/bin/java -version
java version "1.4.2_01"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_01-b06)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_01-b06, mixed mode)

--
Vennlig hilsen/Best Regards
Nils Olav Selåsdal <NOS at Utel.no>
System Engineer
UtelSystems a/s

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Nils O. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sel=E5sdal?=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2003
> In article <bn9r99$urlht$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, doofus wrote:
>> Greetings All!
>>
>> I am a relative newcomer to this group and I very much hope this request
>>
>> You can get an idea of what it should look like from the screenshot in
>> Lab6.gif.
>> best, doofus

> seems to run Ok here, RedHat Linux 8.0
> The image doesn't look quite the same, see here:
> http://utelsystems.dyndns.org/screenshot.jpg

Oh, didn't notice the little slider. Adjusting it, it's
the same as your gif image

--
Vennlig hilsen/Best Regards
Nils Olav Selåsdal <NOS at Utel.no>
System Engineer
UtelSystems a/s

 
Reply With Quote
 
doofus
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-24-2003
Greetings Nils!

Nils O. Selåsdal wrote:
> In article <bn9r99$urlht$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, doofus
> wrote:


> seems to run Ok here, RedHat Linux 8.0
> The image doesn't look quite the same, see here:
> http://utelsystems.dyndns.org/screenshot.jpg
>
> I tested with
> [noselasd@nos-rh tmp]$ java -version
> java version "1.3.1"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build Blackdown-
> 1.3.1-02b-FCS) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build Blackdown-1.3.1_02b-
> FCS, mixed mode)
>
> and
>
> [noselasd@nos-rh tmp]$ /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_01/bin/java -version
> java version "1.4.2_01"
> Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_01-b06)
> Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_01-b06, mixed mode)


I am most grateful to you for going to all that trouble. Your screenshot
provides me with the concrete proof I need that this program does run
outside of Windows and the details you provide on the *two* java
versions in which you tested are most helpful.

You have greatly narrowed the field on what might be causing the
problem.

I look forward to being able to return the favor some day.

Many thanks.

--
Kindest regards, doofus



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
compile C programs with UNIX system calls (= Unix Programs??) jrefactors@hotmail.com C Programming 18 01-10-2005 03:35 AM
compile C programs with UNIX system calls (= Unix Programs??) jrefactors@hotmail.com C++ 12 01-10-2005 03:35 AM
running java program as daemon on Unix System Fatih Java 4 04-09-2004 09:40 AM
my own perl "dos->unix"/"unix->dos" Robert Wallace Perl Misc 7 01-22-2004 10:59 PM
Running in Unix Ivor Java 3 09-09-2003 12:04 PM



Advertisments