Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Newbie question - Development environment (IDE)

Newbie question - Development environment (IDE)

Martin Wildam

Hi folks,

I am new to java. I am thinking of switching to java because of
multiplatform support and I am currently on Windows with VB. I also did some
Javascripting within some ASP pages and I have rusty memories about Pascal
and C++ from my MS DOS times. But in the last years I focused on VB. So far
the introduction.

I am a little confused about what is the difference between Java and J2EE,
JSP, JavaBeans, JavaApplets, Servelets and some other keywords that you face
when looking around about Java. However, I would need Java for Client
applications, server side services for scripting and web applications. As I
am not satisfied with the evolution of the .NET (apart that it keeps me
dependent on Microsoft Windows platform) I guess I am better with Java,
correct?

I have seen some development environments (IDE) yet (like NetBeans and
Eclipse), but talking with other guys I always hear new names so I decided
to ask here at the newsgroup what would be the best thing to use. I am sure
that it depends even on personal preferences but I would really be glad to
hear/read your opinions. It would be a good orientation for me. So please
tell me, what you prefer and why?

Thanks a lot in advantage for all who give an idea,

Martin.

--
_______________________________________
Martin Wildam

(E-Mail Removed)
http://www.may.co.at

John C. Bollinger

Martin Wildam wrote:

> Hi folks,

[Group: Hi Martin!]

[...]

> I am a little confused about what is the difference between Java and J2EE,
> JSP, JavaBeans, JavaApplets, Servelets and some other keywords that you face
> when looking around about Java.

Except for Java itself, all those are names of Java-based technologies
designed for developing software in specific application domains.

> However, I would need Java for Client
> applications, server side services for scripting and web applications.

Of the above-mentioned technologies, for server-side scripting and
related kinds of work you would probably be looking at JSP and/or
servlets, with the former being a friendly face on top of the latter
that provides a programming paradigm more like some other server-side
scripting technologies such as PHP or ASP.

For client-side applications you'll likely want straight Java, and
perhaps applets if you are writing web applications.

Don't worry too much about JavaBeans -- you'll probably end up using
them without realizing it, and the details aren't too hard to pick up.

> As I
> am not satisfied with the evolution of the .NET (apart that it keeps me
> dependent on Microsoft Windows platform) I guess I am better with Java,
> correct?

Java is the most prevalent general-purpose alternative to .NET. Java
can help minimize portability problems.

> I have seen some development environments (IDE) yet (like NetBeans and
> Eclipse), but talking with other guys I always hear new names so I decided
> to ask here at the newsgroup what would be the best thing to use. I am sure
> that it depends even on personal preferences but I would really be glad to
> hear/read your opinions. It would be a good orientation for me. So please
> tell me, what you prefer and why?

While you are first learning Java I recommend that you rely on your
trusty text editor and the command-line compiler. A number of us around
here still use that combination, for that matter. A text editor with
syntax highlighting for Java is useful but not essential. (Many are
available.) An IDE gives you a lot more to learn (the IDE itself) and
can also obscure some of the details of the language by taking care of
them for you.

When I do use an IDE it is Eclipse, in part because of the excellent
refactoring support, in part because of the highly extensible
architecture, and in part because I just like it.

John Bollinger

Martin Wildam

> > I have seen some development environments (IDE) yet (like NetBeans and
> > Eclipse), but talking with other guys I always hear new names so I

decided
> > to ask here at the newsgroup what would be the best thing to use. I am

sure
> > that it depends even on personal preferences but I would really be glad

> > hear/read your opinions. It would be a good orientation for me. So

please
> > tell me, what you prefer and why?

> While you are first learning Java I recommend that you rely on your
> trusty text editor and the command-line compiler. A number of us around
> here still use that combination, for that matter. A text editor with
> syntax highlighting for Java is useful but not essential. (Many are
> available.) An IDE gives you a lot more to learn (the IDE itself) and
> can also obscure some of the details of the language by taking care of
> them for you.
>
> When I do use an IDE it is Eclipse, in part because of the excellent
> refactoring support, in part because of the highly extensible
> architecture, and in part because I just like it.

Thank you for your input. I have seen Eclipse already and I also found it
quite ok. I know the text editor work also from doing VBScript, HTML,
JavaScript etc. but an IDE would help me in debugging first because at the
beginning I will do a lot of mistakes and with a Debugger I will figure out
my errors more quickly.

Chris Riesbeck

"John C. Bollinger" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bn4875$lvf$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Martin Wildam wrote:
>

> > I have seen some development environments (IDE) yet (like NetBeans and
> > Eclipse), but talking with other guys I always hear new names so I decided
> > to ask here at the newsgroup what would be the best thing to use.

> While you are first learning Java I recommend that you rely on your
> trusty text editor and the command-line compiler...
> An IDE gives you a lot more to learn (the IDE itself) and
> can also obscure some of the details of the language by taking care of
> them for you.

My feeling as well though DrJava (http://drjava.sourceforge.net/) has a
lot of nice features for beginners, including a "test out some
Java code" console window and integrated JUnit support, and set
up went quite smoothly for me.

> When I do use an IDE it is Eclipse, in part because of the excellent
> refactoring support, in part because of the highly extensible
> architecture, and in part because I just like it.

DrJava has a prototype Eclipse plugin to ease the transition
but I've not tried it.

shay

Since you are coming from a VB background I would suggest that you
take a look at Oracle JDeveloper as an IDE since it will give you
visual development (and not just a code editor) for both Applets and
Applications using Swing and JSP HTML applications.

You get a visual editor where you can drag and drop visual components
and easily bind them to the database.

Check it out at http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev where you can see
some demos and download the full version.

Jonathan

Hi,

I personaly suggest you to use Java. I really like it, I just came here
because I'm converting my site to Java and I have a question, but I used it
at my job and it's very powerful. If you want to understand all the terms
and know a lot about Java, I really suggest you to take the time to pass
through the J2EE tutorial . J2EE is for Java 2 Enterprise Edition, it
includes JSP, Servlets, Enteprise bean, xml files, database connections, ...
a lot of exercices and descriptions. All that is totally free on the
www.java.sun.com .

Have a nice day,

Jonathan

news:bn45bd$tgc6h$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...