Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > approx 100 assorted computer/ math/other books

approx 100 assorted computer/ math/other books

Mark McIntyre

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 21:22:59 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Roedy Green
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The blast is against those who complain about top posting. Top posting
>is GOOD on one respect.

Its evil. Period.

>It is at least is a step in the right
>direction away from forcing people to read stuff they have seen many
>times before

A better step is to blast those who don't trim posts. I /want/ to
read the context of posts. You may prefer to wander into conversations
half way through of course.

--
Mark McIntyre

Roedy Green

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 23:52:03 +0100, Mark McIntyre
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>>The blast is against those who complain about top posting. Top posting
>>is GOOD on one respect.

>Its evil. Period.

I disagree. I would say it is very rare that I actually read rather
than skip over quoted material. It is just a nuisance. If people get
to the point right away they save me time. If I need to refresh
myself on the quoted material I can look it up myself. If they put
all the quoted junk at the end, at least is easier to ignore.

I think it is a superior system, but I don't use it myself because it
gets people too angry. Perhaps a compromise would be to simply label
a top post with something like "quotes follow" or "top posted" to let
you know where to find context if you need it.

Who gets annoyed by what may have to do with the features of
newsreader . Agent does not have a single key "jump to the meat" and
my hand is on the mouse during most reading. There is no quick page
down by mouse. I have to spin the scroll wheel to get to the point. I
also have to drag the mouse from the button panel where it is usually
parked to a different region of the screen to scroll.

Agent also puts those cutsie "X twirled his moustache spun around
three times and uttered ..." things in the same font as meat. I get
quite annoyed reading some of those convoluted headers to discover
they are just someone being cute.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Michael Voss

"Serveral People" wrote in this thread, being cross-posted to at least five
newsgroups

> Lots of things about topposting

Sorry, not a real quote, but then, I think at least some people in c.l.s are
not used to having discussions like that (slightly off-topic) in at least
this (c.l.s) newsgroup. So I might start another discussion about
cross-posting and off-topic-threads, knowing this being completely useless,
but this would be off-topic as well.

I know this (flaming (or something close) people for not posting or quoting
correctly) seems to happen quite often in c.l.j.*, but I've never before
seen it on c.l.s, so please keep this discussion out of (at least) c.l.s.

Randy Howard

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 23:52:03 +0100, Mark McIntyre
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :
>
> >> Top posting is GOOD on one respect.

> >Its evil. Period.

> I disagree.

The almighty Usenet Oracle has been awakened and declared that you
are wrong. Too bad.

> I have to spin the scroll wheel to get to the point.

Sounds like you probably don't walk very much either. Man, spinning
the mouse wheel, that is tiring. *cough*

> I also have to drag the mouse from the button panel where it is usually
> parked to a different region of the screen to scroll.

Do you prefer Baby Swiss or Gouda with your Merlot?

--
Randy Howard _o
2reply remove FOOBAR \<,

Stephan Eggermont

In comp.lang.java.programmer Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I would like to make a different request. Make sure you say something
> original within the first 15 lines of a post. I get quite annoyed
> with folk who DON'T top post, quote 3 pages that I have already read,
> and then add one silly wisecrack.
>
> STOP QUOTING SO ****ING MUCH. READING SOMETHING ONCE IS ENOUGH!!

You might benefit from the following observation:
if you have to scroll to see original text, you can safely
ignore the post, as it won't be interesting.

Stephan

Mark McIntyre

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 23:40:45 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Roedy Green
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 23:52:03 +0100, Mark McIntyre
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :
>
>>>The blast is against those who complain about top posting. Top posting
>>>is GOOD on one respect.

>>Its evil. Period.

>I disagree. I would say it is very rare that I actually read rather
>than skip over quoted material. It is just a nuisance.

And yet you retained my posting, since it added useful context. Hmm?

>If people get
>to the point right away they save me time.

Then like I say, they can snip the entire previous post. I tend to
ignore contextless posts in technical groups tho, as they're typically
unreadable.

>If I need to refresh
>myself on the quoted material I can look it up myself.

Where? Google? Get real. Presumably you don't read very many posts a
day, or else have an eidetic memory.

>I think it is a superior system, but I don't use it myself because it
>gets people too angry. Perhaps a compromise would be to simply label
>a top post with something like "quotes follow" or "top posted" to let
>you know where to find context if you need it.

in the bitbucket I'm afraid,along with the rest of any post with that
attitude. Anyone who can't post properly probably can't string
coherent thought together anyway.

>Who gets annoyed by what may have to do with the features of
>newsreader . Agent does not have a single key "jump to the meat"

spacebar

By the way, which of the frenzied spam of groups are you reading this
in ?
--
Mark McIntyre

Roedy Green

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:44:57 +0100, Mark McIntyre
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>>If I need to refresh
>>myself on the quoted material I can look it up myself.

>Where? Google? Get real. Presumably you don't read very many posts a
>day, or else have an eidetic memory.

In Agent. I can retrace threads at a click. They are mapped out like a
tree.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy Green

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:40:03 +0000 (UTC), Stephan Eggermont
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>You might benefit from the following observation:
>if you have to scroll to see original text, you can safely
>ignore the post, as it won't be interesting.

Infuriatingly, it is not always true. Some intelligent people
APOLOGIZE for snipping even a comma from the entire previous
discussion. Somebody must have taught them you are supposed to quote
EVERYTHING.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Joona I Palaste

Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled the following
on comp.lang.c:
> On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:40:03 +0000 (UTC), Stephan Eggermont
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :
>>You might benefit from the following observation:
>>if you have to scroll to see original text, you can safely
>>ignore the post, as it won't be interesting.

> Infuriatingly, it is not always true. Some intelligent people
> APOLOGIZE for snipping even a comma from the entire previous
> discussion. Somebody must have taught them you are supposed to quote
> EVERYTHING.

At the very least, people should snip out signatures, barring the case
when they have an actual comment on the signature itself. Such as mine.
The quote came from Mika P. Nieminen, my former boss, who was commenting
a roast sausage.

"Stronger, no. More seductive, cunning, crunchier the Dark Side is."
- Mika P. Nieminen

Thomas Stegen

Roedy Green wrote:

> The blast is against those who complain about top posting. Top posting
> is GOOD on one respect. It is at least is a step in the right
> direction away from forcing people to read stuff they have seen many
> times before -- especially those folk who quote with nests 10 posts
> deep.

Top posting is never good. Just delete all the text in
the previous post if you do not have the need to include
some more specific context.

It is not that hard.

--
Thomas.