Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java & Intel Xeon Processors

Java & Intel Xeon Processors

Mike

I have a Web site that runs Apache with mysql on Linux (Slackware).
95% of the code is JSP, the rest Perl cgi.

I run on a single 200MHz Intel CPU.

I want to upgrade to something more robust like a server with one or
two Xeon processors. If I did, would I have to re-write all my code to
take advantage of the multi-threading processor capability?

Basically the Web site does a lot to read/write to mysql and JSP
renders the pages.

Thanks

Sergio Juan

IMHO

Each request to the server is a separate thread, so you don't need to change
anything.

Analize your system performance. If you are mainly using sql, maybe it would
be better to install mysql in a machine and leave the web server in another
less potent.

Regards.
"Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I have a Web site that runs Apache with mysql on Linux (Slackware).
> 95% of the code is JSP, the rest Perl cgi.
>
> I run on a single 200MHz Intel CPU.
>
> I want to upgrade to something more robust like a server with one or
> two Xeon processors. If I did, would I have to re-write all my code to
> take advantage of the multi-threading processor capability?
>
> Basically the Web site does a lot to read/write to mysql and JSP
> renders the pages.
>
> Thanks

Roedy Green

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 17:38:27 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Mike) wrote or
quoted :

>I want to upgrade to something more robust like a server with one or
>two Xeon processors. If I did, would I have to re-write all my code to
>take advantage of the multi-threading processor capability?

have a look at the task manager display. In w2k you can get at it by
hitting Ctrl-Alt-Delete. look at all those processes running. Any
time you see more than one of them chewing up a significant proportion
of the time, then 2 cpus could do that work simultaneously.

Adding even one thread to a Swing app means the screen painting and
everything else can proceed simultaneously on separate cpus.

I looked into dual cpus for my own machine and discovered adding a
second CPU was over quadruple the cost. Dual processors are still
considered somewhat exotic, so you pay a premium for the processor and
the motherboard. You are probably better off spending the money on a
faster cpu, perhaps one with hyperthreading which simulates two
hardware cpus.
see http://mindprod.com/ggloss/hyperthreading.html

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.