Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java3D: Transform3D.rotX() causing blackness!

Java3D: Transform3D.rotX() causing blackness!

Hoagie

The pain! I've looked over this a hundred times and I don't
understand it! I'm new to Java3D, so hopefully someone can help me in
this quick (most likely trivial error).

I am drawing a QuadArray plane w/ the "stripes.gif" texture (from the
tutorial) applied to it. I've drawn the plane to be 2 inches (-1,-1
to 1,1) and 1 inch (0,0 to 1,1). After creating the Shape3D object, I
add it to the branch group then add that to the Simple Universe.

The above works great!

Then I add the follow code just after adding the BG to the simpleU:

TransformGroup viewPlatform =
u.getViewingPlatform().getViewPlatformTransform();
Transform3D viewT3D = new Transform3D();
viewT3D.setTranslation(new Vector3f(-0.5f, -0.5f, -6.0f));
//viewT3D.rotX(-0.35f);
viewT3D.invert();
viewPlatform.setTransform(viewT3D);

As is, the above works fine -- it shifts everything "deeper" into the
screen. But, if I uncomment the 'rotX' line all I get is black! No
stripes, no nothing.

My understanding of the "ViewPlatformTransform" is a Transform3D that
affects everything in the universe.

How can I set both the Translation and rotX (and other translations
when the time comes) on the platform tranform?

Thanks for any help!

Rick

Never did OpenGL in Java mut maybe these are some tips. You're object
probably still is somewhere but outside you're view.
First of all, are you sure the origin(center) of you're object is in the
middle of it? If not, when it rotaties it can rotate outside you're view.
Check it with just a small rotation (1 degree or something).
Another possible cause : I guess rotX is based on GLrotate. If you call that
function everything rotates so you have to reset after you've drawn the
object. Just rotate back or use some commands to call and push you're
viewpoint.

Just some guesses, using this stuff in C / Delphi looks quit different
because that ain't object orientated.

Greetings,
Rick

P. Flavin

The proper newsgroups is: comp.lang.java.3d

http://java.sun.com/products/java-me...est_group.html

Hoagie wrote:
> The pain! I've looked over this a hundred times and I don't
> understand it! I'm new to Java3D, so hopefully someone can help me in
> this quick (most likely trivial error).
>
> I am drawing a QuadArray plane w/ the "stripes.gif" texture (from the
> tutorial) applied to it. I've drawn the plane to be 2 inches (-1,-1
> to 1,1) and 1 inch (0,0 to 1,1). After creating the Shape3D object, I
> add it to the branch group then add that to the Simple Universe.
>
> The above works great!
>
> Then I add the follow code just after adding the BG to the simpleU:
>
> TransformGroup viewPlatform =
> u.getViewingPlatform().getViewPlatformTransform();
> Transform3D viewT3D = new Transform3D();
> viewT3D.setTranslation(new Vector3f(-0.5f, -0.5f, -6.0f));
> //viewT3D.rotX(-0.35f);
> viewT3D.invert();
> viewPlatform.setTransform(viewT3D);
>
> As is, the above works fine -- it shifts everything "deeper" into the
> screen. But, if I uncomment the 'rotX' line all I get is black! No
> stripes, no nothing.
>
> My understanding of the "ViewPlatformTransform" is a Transform3D that
> affects everything in the universe.
>
> How can I set both the Translation and rotX (and other translations
> when the time comes) on the platform tranform?
>
> Thanks for any help!

Try smaller rotations, you are probably shifting
the view so far that the only thing in your world
has moved outside of your viewing area.

Learning Java3d by using it with VRML, a simple
clear text graphics language with a Scenegraph
hierarchy similar to Java3d's makes learning and
experimenting with Java3d a little easier.

Java3d Demos on line with Source code ( Sun's Demos )
http://www.cs.nps.navy.mil/people/fa...va3d/examples/
http://groups.google.com/groups?&gro...chester.rr.com

Interactive Web Animation with Java3d & VRML
http://www.frontiernet.net/~imaging/..._and_vrml.html

-- Paul, Java Developer & Web Animator
--------------------------------------
Imgaging the Imagined: Modeling with Math & a Keyboard

Hoagie

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:04:16 GMT, "P. Flavin"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The proper newsgroups is: comp.lang.java.3d

I figured there was a 3D group for Java, but my newsgroup
server doesn't seem to want to carry it. Can't post there.

> Try smaller rotations, you are probably shifting
>the view so far that the only thing in your world
>has moved outside of your viewing area.
>
> Learning Java3d by using it with VRML, a simple
>clear text graphics language with a Scenegraph
>hierarchy similar to Java3d's makes learning and
>experimenting with Java3d a little easier.

Thanks for the tips! I'll be sure to take note of them when I
get back to this problem. I'm working on a different problem now
which will help with this in the end.

Thanks!

Hoagie

Thanks Rick,

I think you are right about everything still being there; I
thought about that earlier today after I had a chance to stop beating
my head against the wall.
I'm trying to remove the clip distance right now so I can zoom
in and out of the scene without losing any of the scene... so I can
find it again.

Thanks again!

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:50:46 +0200, "Rick" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Never did OpenGL in Java mut maybe these are some tips. You're object
>probably still is somewhere but outside you're view.
>First of all, are you sure the origin(center) of you're object is in the
>middle of it? If not, when it rotaties it can rotate outside you're view.
>Check it with just a small rotation (1 degree or something).
>Another possible cause : I guess rotX is based on GLrotate. If you call that
>function everything rotates so you have to reset after you've drawn the
>object. Just rotate back or use some commands to call and push you're
>viewpoint.
>
>Just some guesses, using this stuff in C / Delphi looks quit different
>because that ain't object orientated.
>
>Greetings,
>Rick

Harald Hein

"Hoagie" wrote:

> I figured there was a 3D group for Java, but my newsgroup
> server doesn't seem to want to carry it. Can't post there.

Talk to your admin. And while you talk to him, tell him that
comp.lang.java is history since 1997 and he should consider cleaning up
his server.

If all else fails go to

http://groups.google.com/groups?group=comp.lang.java.3d