Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Sun J2SE 1.4.2 max heap size

Sun J2SE 1.4.2 max heap size

J Casqueiro

Hi there !

Can anyone confirm what is the max heap size for the VM in Sun's J2SE
1.4.2 SDK (for windows 64b Itanium 2) ?

In the documentation it is mentioned that for Solaris we have a 64b
address space but I couldn't find anything regarding wintel 64b and I
would like to confirm.

Thanks/Brgds
Joao

Ike

If you are speaking about the plugin, I believe it is 96 (on Wintel), but
you can up to it with the -Xmx option. For example, under Wintel, to up it
to 256:
control-panel
java 2 plugin
addvanced tab
and under "java runtime parameters:"
-Xmx256m

//Ike

"J Casqueiro" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> Hi there !
>
> Can anyone confirm what is the max heap size for the VM in Sun's J2SE
> 1.4.2 SDK (for windows 64b Itanium 2) ?
>
> In the documentation it is mentioned that for Solaris we have a 64b
> address space but I couldn't find anything regarding wintel 64b and I
> would like to confirm.
>
> Thanks/Brgds
> Joao

Skippy

> Can anyone confirm what is the max heap size for the VM in Sun's J2SE
> 1.4.2 SDK (for windows 64b Itanium 2) ?
>
> In the documentation it is mentioned that for Solaris we have a 64b
> address space but I couldn't find anything regarding wintel 64b and I
> would like to confirm.

Maybe this helps:

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/1.4.2_whitepaper.html#11

IA64 64-bit for Windows and Linux
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
With the release of J2SE platform version 1.4.2 comes a new addition to the
platforms supported by the HotSpot JVM. Full 64-bit support for the Intel
IA-64 architecture and the Itanium family of processors is a major addition
for the J2SE platform, and is a strong example of Sun's continued focus on
enterprise and network computing.

With a new port to IA-64 comes the opportunity to leverage past work with
the 64-bit version of the Java virtual machine for the SolarisTM Operating
System (SPARCŪ Platform Edition) ensuring delivery of a reliable, scalable,
high performing, and highly competitive 64-bit version of the JVM machine.

Roedy Green

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003 01:41:22 +0200, "Skippy" <(E-Mail Removed)0spam.nl>
wrote or quoted :

> IA64 64-bit for Windows and Linux

This gives 64 bit addressing. The size of an address is in
transparent in Java. We have always had 64 bit data

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

J Casqueiro

Guys,