Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > PC to Mac formating

PC to Mac formating

Jimmy Joe

I make some java class files on a PC using text pad. Transfer them to
my mac via FTP. When i open them in project builder they won't compile
due to some characters it doesn't like. Using the "reindent" command
it only fixes the first line. I have to go in every line and press
return or tab to reindent it manually if i want to compile. If you
haven't guess my question by now here it goes. First, why does this
happen? Second, how can I save myself the pain.

Thanks

Brad BARCLAY

Jimmy Joe wrote:
> I make some java class files on a PC using text pad. Transfer them to
> my mac via FTP. When i open them in project builder they won't compile
> due to some characters it doesn't like. Using the "reindent" command
> it only fixes the first line. I have to go in every line and press
> return or tab to reindent it manually if i want to compile. If you
> haven't guess my question by now here it goes. First, why does this
> happen? Second, how can I save myself the pain.

Are you FTP'ing the files in ASCII or Binary mode? If the latter,
switch to the former (assuming you're uploading the .java files, and not
an archive containing them, of course). This should ensure that the
correct line breaks are generated.

HTH!

Brad BARCLAY

--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
From the OS/2 WARP v4.5 Desktop of Brad BARCLAY.

Phillip Mills

In article <iUlgb.42268$ko%(E-Mail Removed) gers.com>,
Brad BARCLAY <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Jimmy Joe wrote:
> > First, why does this
> > happen? Second, how can I save myself the pain.

> Are you FTP'ing the files in ASCII or Binary mode? If the latter,
> switch to the former (assuming you're uploading the .java files, and not
> an archive containing them, of course). This should ensure that the
> correct line breaks are generated.

Or, assuming Mac OS X, you can transfer a .zip file as binary and use
'unzip -a <filename>' from the console to do text conversion.

--
Phillip Mills
Multi-platform software development