Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Is there such a thing as a JVM monitor...

Is there such a thing as a JVM monitor...

Edward A Thompson

(open source) that will let me view how many insatnces of which
objects are currently instantiated in the JVM?

Or something similiar for the web container TomCat?

Michael Borgwardt

Edward A Thompson wrote:
> (open source) that will let me view how many insatnces of which
> objects are currently instantiated in the JVM?

What you're looking for is called a "profiler", what you want to
do is "heap profiling".

Currently, the only open source profiler that does heap profiling seems to be
this one: http://jmechanic.sourceforge.net/

But it my be unstable and difficult to use at version 0.5...

Robert Olofsson

Michael Borgwardt ((E-Mail Removed)) wrote:
: Edward A Thompson wrote:
: > (open source) that will let me view how many insatnces of which
: > objects are currently instantiated in the JVM?

: What you're looking for is called a "profiler", what you want to
: do is "heap profiling".
: Currently, the only open source profiler that does heap profiling seems to be
: this one: http://jmechanic.sourceforge.net/

Not entirely correct.
HProf is included in any modern jdk (1.2.2+?) its not open source, but
its gratis and the source is available.
My profiler, JMP, is open source and can be found at:
http://www.khelekore.org/jmp

There are others like:
eclipsecolorer http://eclipsecolorer.sourceforge.ne..._profiler.html

You also have a couple of commercial ones like optimizeit, jprobe,
jprofiler.

Have fun
/robo

Michael Borgwardt

Robert Olofsson wrote:
> : Currently, the only open source profiler that does heap profiling seems to be
> : this one: http://jmechanic.sourceforge.net/
>
> Not entirely correct.
> HProf is included in any modern jdk (1.2.2+?) its not open source, but
> its gratis and the source is available.

OK, it actually fulfills the OP's (minimal) requirements, but it's a
bit spartanic.

> My profiler, JMP, is open source and can be found at:
> http://www.khelekore.org/jmp

First time I've heard about it. I'll give it a try sometimes.

> There are others like:
> eclipsecolorer http://eclipsecolorer.sourceforge.ne..._profiler.html

It doesn't do heap profiling.

> You also have a couple of commercial ones like optimizeit, jprobe,
> jprofiler.

Of course.