Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Best choice for a free visual programming in Java + DBMS

Best choice for a free visual programming in Java + DBMS

P.DELMAS

I'm starting to developp a Db oriented program at home, but I'm looking for
a free visual IDE.

Please give me your choice ?

P.DELMAS

David Segall

"P.DELMAS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm starting to developp a Db oriented program at home, but I'm looking for
>a free visual IDE.
>
>Please give me your choice ?
>
>P.DELMAS

Netbeans (www.netbeans.org) is free and Open Source. I think you will
find it the best choice. Borland JBuilder Personal Edition
(http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/personal/index.html) is also free (or
$10.00 if you want it on CD). Oracle's JDeveloper
(http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/content.html) is a free download
but the license severely restricts what you can do with programs you
write if you do not pay for it. JDeveloper would suit someone studying
databases because it works well with the free download of Oracle 9i
DBMS.

Sun One Studio 4 Community Edition, which is derived from Netbeans, is
still available, without charge, from
http://jsecom16d.sun.com/ECom/EComAc...MLoadBalanced=
but has been superseded by Studio 5. Sun suggest you use Netbeans if
you want a free version and Netbeans suggest you use Sun One if you
want an IDE that "possesses a clearly defined relationship to the
trusted name and service offerings of Sun Microsystems". IBM has a
free version of Visual Age for Java at
http://www7.software.ibm.com/vad.nsf...view&Doc4=4594.
It has a limit on the number of classes in your application and, in
any case, has been superseded by Websphere Studio Application
Developer (http://www-3.ibm.com/software/awdtools/studioappdev/).
Websphere is not free but a sixty day trial is available. Eclipse
(www.eclipse.org) is a popular Open Source IDE, and there are free
plug-ins like http://www.assisiplugins.com/index_start.html which
provide limited WYSIWYG GUI development.

I seem to have set myself the task of keeping track of IDEs which are
comparable to those in the preceding paragraphs so I would appreciate
any corrections or additions.

Steven Green

I like both the Netbeans and Eclipse IDEs

http://www.eclipse.org
http://www.netbeans.org

Personally I prefer Eclipse, but it doesn't have the GUI builders like
Netbeans, so I find myself using Netbeans to rough out GUI components and
importing the generated java files into Eclipse.

--Steve

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 16:48:29 +0200, P.DELMAS wrote:

> I'm starting to developp a Db oriented program at home, but I'm looking for
> a free visual IDE.
>
> Please give me your choice ?
>
> P.DELMAS

P.DELMAS

Thanks a lot for these informations.

Don't hesitate if I can help you about Citrix, Lotus Notes, Windows (!) or
IP networks.

Best regards.

P.DELMAS
"David Segall" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> "P.DELMAS" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I'm starting to developp a Db oriented program at home, but I'm looking

for
> >a free visual IDE.
> >
> >Please give me your choice ?
> >
> >P.DELMAS
> >

> Netbeans (www.netbeans.org) is free and Open Source. I think you will
> find it the best choice. Borland JBuilder Personal Edition
> (http://www.borland.com/jbuilder/personal/index.html) is also free (or
> $10.00 if you want it on CD). Oracle's JDeveloper
> (http://otn.oracle.com/products/jdev/content.html) is a free download
> but the license severely restricts what you can do with programs you
> write if you do not pay for it. JDeveloper would suit someone studying
> databases because it works well with the free download of Oracle 9i
> DBMS.
>
> Sun One Studio 4 Community Edition, which is derived from Netbeans, is
> still available, without charge, from

http://jsecom16d.sun.com/ECom/EComAc...DetailId=FJCI9
-401-TL9M&TransactionId=try&LMLoadBalanced=
> but has been superseded by Studio 5. Sun suggest you use Netbeans if
> you want a free version and Netbeans suggest you use Sun One if you
> want an IDE that "possesses a clearly defined relationship to the
> trusted name and service offerings of Sun Microsystems". IBM has a
> free version of Visual Age for Java at

http://www7.software.ibm.com/vad.nsf...ment&FSet=1&Do
c3=4589&Title=Overview&DPart=Overview&Doc4=4594.