Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > visual IDEs

visual IDEs

Slash

Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this group, but I
figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would be this group. I'm
looking for a good, yet somewhat inexpensive (<$100USD) visual Java IDE for
creating stand-alone apps and applets. Many years ago I used Visual Cafe,
but I understand it's been gobbled up by another company. But I was hoping
to find something similar. Please advise.

Thanks!
Slash

Kari S

Slash wrote:

> Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this group, but
> figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would be this group. I'm
> looking for a good, yet somewhat inexpensive (<$100USD) visual Java IDE
> for
> creating stand-alone apps and applets. Many years ago I used Visual Cafe,
> but I understand it's been gobbled up by another company. But I was
> hoping
> to find something similar. Please advise.
>
> Thanks!
> Slash

I recommend eclipse or NetBeans.
http://www.eclipse.org
http://www.netbeans.org

-Kari S.

David Siebert

Slash wrote:
> Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this group, but I
> figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would be this group. I'm
> looking for a good, yet somewhat inexpensive (<$100USD) visual Java IDE for
> creating stand-alone apps and applets. Many years ago I used Visual Cafe,
> but I understand it's been gobbled up by another company. But I was hoping
> to find something similar. Please advise.
>
> Thanks!
> Slash

How about NetBeans?
www.netbeans.org it is free.
There is also Eclipse from IBM. www.eclipse.org. It is not really a
visual IDE from what I hear but people do love it.

Harald Hein

"Slash" wrote:

> Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this
> group, but I figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would
> be this group.

This question is indeed asked every week. Why don't jus just read an
archive of this group instead of asking an FAQ?

TechBookReport

"Slash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this group, but

> figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would be this group. I'm
> looking for a good, yet somewhat inexpensive (<$100USD) visual Java IDE

for
> creating stand-alone apps and applets. Many years ago I used Visual Cafe,
> but I understand it's been gobbled up by another company. But I was

hoping
> to find something similar. Please advise.
>
> Thanks!
> Slash

There's always JCreator if you're developing under Windows.

Pan

http://www.techbookreport.com

Slash

Thanks to those nice enough to respond with advice. I'll definitely check
out JCreator and NetBeans!

Slash

"Slash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this group, but

> figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would be this group. I'm
> looking for a good, yet somewhat inexpensive (<$100USD) visual Java IDE

for
> creating stand-alone apps and applets. Many years ago I used Visual Cafe,
> but I understand it's been gobbled up by another company. But I was

hoping
> to find something similar. Please advise.
>
> Thanks!
> Slash

Thomas G. Marshall

Harald Hein <(E-Mail Removed)> horrified us with:

> "Slash" wrote:
>
>> Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this
>> group, but I figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would
>> be this group.

> This question is indeed asked every week. Why don't jus just read an
> archive of this group instead of asking an FAQ?

Bah! Slash, you go ahead and ask away. There's nothing wrong with that no
matter how many times a question is asked. If it bothers a person, then
that person is free to ignore it.

Thomas G. Marshall

Though it hasn't "hooked" me on it yet, I am hearing the loudest ruckus
about how good eclipse is. And it's totally free.

Slash <(E-Mail Removed)> horrified us with:

> Thanks to those nice enough to respond with advice. I'll definitely
> check out JCreator and NetBeans!
>
> Slash
>
> "Slash" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sorry for what is probably too fundamental a question for this
>> group, but I figured if anyone could give me good advice, it would
>> be this group. I'm looking for a good, yet somewhat inexpensive
>> (<$100USD) visual Java IDE for creating stand-alone apps and
>> applets. Many years ago I used Visual Cafe, but I understand it's
>> been gobbled up by another company. But I was hoping to find
>> something similar. Please advise.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Slash

Chris Smith

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:

> Though it hasn't "hooked" me on it yet, I am hearing the loudest ruckus
> about how good eclipse is. And it's totally free.

AFAIK, neither JCreator nor Eclipse contain visual GUI editors. I had
thought that was listed as a requirement (by saying "visual" IDE). If
not, then I can heartily recommend Eclipse. JCreator is great, as well,
and I used to use it before I stumbled across Eclipse a few years ago.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Thomas G. Marshall

Chris Smith <(E-Mail Removed)> horrified us with:

>> Slash <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks to those nice enough to respond with advice. I'll definitely
>>> check out JCreator and NetBeans!

> Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
>>
>> Though it hasn't "hooked" me on it yet, I am hearing the loudest
>> ruckus about how good eclipse is. And it's totally free.

> AFAIK, neither JCreator nor Eclipse contain visual GUI editors. I had
> thought that was listed as a requirement (by saying "visual" IDE). If
> not, then I can heartily recommend Eclipse. JCreator is great, as
> well, and I used to use it before I stumbled across Eclipse a few
> years ago.

I don't think the OP meant GUI editing, but if he did, there IS such a beast
(eclipse plugin) with a stoopid name:
http://www.assisiplugins.com/index_start.html

It has a totally free community edition too. A little rough around the
edges for installation, but it's worth a shot.

I have /other/ issues with eclipse though, but am feeling tired of hollering
about them.

RE: visual gui ides for python/jythpn Ethan Kennerly Python 1 06-24-2007 04:48 PM
visual gui ides for python/jythpn kromakey Python 5 06-21-2007 09:58 PM
Visual IDEs?? Erland Ruby 23 09-29-2005 02:48 PM
Java IDEs Zachary Turner Java 8 05-02-2004 09:56 PM
Looking For Decent Java IDEs Tim Zhao Java 10 11-17-2003 01:55 AM

Advertisments