Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Fluid look and feel?

Fluid look and feel?

Russell Wallace

Java's still on my short list of technologies for a contemplated
future project, one of the reasons for this being the possibility of
getting a consistent look and feel between platforms.

The default way of doing this is to use the Metal look and feel, but
that isn't what I want for this project. I want a more fluid-looking
display, with white and pastel colors and no sharp-edged metal bits.
Remember the scene in 'The Matrix Reloaded' where you get a glimpse of
the computer display the traffic controllers are using? That's the
sort of impression I'm aiming for. (The project in question is a
strategy game.)

Do I understand correctly that the way to do this is to create a
custom look and feel? If so, how easy is this to do, and will it work
reliably on different platforms' JVMs?

Thanks,

--
"Sore wa himitsu desu."
To reply by email, remove

Ike

I know there is a "skin look and feel" floating around whereby I believe you
can do just this. //Ike

"Russell Wallace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Java's still on my short list of technologies for a contemplated
> future project, one of the reasons for this being the possibility of
> getting a consistent look and feel between platforms.
>
> The default way of doing this is to use the Metal look and feel, but
> that isn't what I want for this project. I want a more fluid-looking
> display, with white and pastel colors and no sharp-edged metal bits.
> Remember the scene in 'The Matrix Reloaded' where you get a glimpse of
> the computer display the traffic controllers are using? That's the
> sort of impression I'm aiming for. (The project in question is a
> strategy game.)
>
> Do I understand correctly that the way to do this is to create a
> custom look and feel? If so, how easy is this to do, and will it work
> reliably on different platforms' JVMs?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> "Sore wa himitsu desu."
> To reply by email, remove
> the small snack from address.
> http://www.esatclear.ie/~rwallace

Ike

I found the download I didi of the whole thing, sources, classes &
docs...but there weblink isnt connecting. I would be glad to forward this on
to you via email if you like. //Ike

"Russell Wallace" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Java's still on my short list of technologies for a contemplated
> future project, one of the reasons for this being the possibility of
> getting a consistent look and feel between platforms.
>
> The default way of doing this is to use the Metal look and feel, but
> that isn't what I want for this project. I want a more fluid-looking
> display, with white and pastel colors and no sharp-edged metal bits.
> Remember the scene in 'The Matrix Reloaded' where you get a glimpse of
> the computer display the traffic controllers are using? That's the
> sort of impression I'm aiming for. (The project in question is a
> strategy game.)
>
> Do I understand correctly that the way to do this is to create a
> custom look and feel? If so, how easy is this to do, and will it work
> reliably on different platforms' JVMs?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> "Sore wa himitsu desu."
> To reply by email, remove
> the small snack from address.
> http://www.esatclear.ie/~rwallace

Ike

Oh good God, Im getting it now:
http://www.l2fprod.com/
hth, Ike

Thomas G. Marshall

Russell Wallace <(E-Mail Removed)> horrified us with:

> Java's still on my short list of technologies for a contemplated
> future project, one of the reasons for this being the possibility of
> getting a consistent look and feel between platforms.
>
> The default way of doing this is to use the Metal look and feel, but
> that isn't what I want for this project. I want a more fluid-looking
> display, with white and pastel colors and no sharp-edged metal bits.
> Remember the scene in 'The Matrix Reloaded' where you get a glimpse of
> the computer display the traffic controllers are using? That's the
> sort of impression I'm aiming for. (The project in question is a
> strategy game.)
>
> Do I understand correctly that the way to do this is to create a
> custom look and feel? If so, how easy is this to do, and will it work
> reliably on different platforms' JVMs?

The gui folks need to weigh in here, so forgive me for being brash enough to
cross post.

I think that the Metal look and feel is about as "fluid" as a vice-grip.

I believe that skinning is definately the way to go here. I know of xul,
which in an xml based skinning formalism, but others here know of several
alternatives, better suited for java.

Roedy Green

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:57:05 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Russell
Wallace) wrote or quoted :

>The default way of doing this is to use the Metal look and feel, but
>that isn't what I want for this project. I want a more fluid-looking
>display, with white and pastel colors and no sharp-edged metal bits.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/laf.html

and follow links. You could spend a long time looking over all the
variants people have prepared.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Russell Wallace

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:38:36 GMT, Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/laf.html
>
>and follow links. You could spend a long time looking over all the
>variants people have prepared.

Thanks, everyone! These seem to be exactly the sort of things I'm
looking for.

--
"Sore wa himitsu desu."
To reply by email, remove
the small snack from address.
http://www.esatclear.ie/~rwallace

Thomas G. Marshall

Russell Wallace <(E-Mail Removed)> horrified us with:

....[there once was a man from nansnippit]...

> Thanks, everyone! These seem to be exactly the sort of things I'm
> looking for.

Which way did you choose? The L&F or skinning?

Russell Wallace

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 16:17:13 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
<(E-Mail Removed). com> wrote:

>Which way did you choose? The L&F or skinning?

Haven't decided yet - I need to finish my current project before I
start on the Java one. But I'm satisfied now that there are techniques
for doing what I want, and I've kept the links and will investigate
further once I'm ready to start.