Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > J2ME selectable images

J2ME selectable images

Oz Mortimer

Hi,

Is there any way that I can create a selectable image? I have tried using
List and ChoiceGroup but this doesnt seem to give the results I require!.

I want to create a menu list using images within a grid - similat to the
VodaPhone Live service.

Any advice examples?

Email me on http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Many Thanks
Oz.

Darryl L. Pierce

Oz Mortimer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there any way that I can create a selectable image? I have tried using
> List and ChoiceGroup but this doesnt seem to give the results I require!.
>
> I want to create a menu list using images within a grid - similat to the
> VodaPhone Live service.
>
> Any advice examples?

I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. You want to setup a
grid of icons and select from that? If so, you'll have to write your own
custom widget to do the job as there's nothing of the sort in the LCDUI.
You can use the javax.microedition.lcdui.Canvas class and draw
individual Image objects onto the canvas. But, you'll have the
responsibility for handling key navigation, focus, etc. as well.

Good luck.

--
Darryl L. Pierce <(E-Mail Removed)>
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://bellsouthpwp.net/m/c/mcpierce>

Oz Mortimer

Hi Darryl,
> I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. You want to setup a
> grid of icons and select from that? If so, you'll have to write your own
> custom widget to do the job as there's nothing of the sort in the LCDUI.
> You can use the javax.microedition.lcdui.Canvas class and draw
> individual Image objects onto the canvas. But, you'll have the
> responsibility for handling key navigation, focus, etc. as well.

Thanks for that!... any examples of this where you have a grid of say 4x4
icons where if an icon is selected you will then be taken to the next
screen?

Many Thanks
Oz.

Darryl L. Pierce

Oz Mortimer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. You want to setup a
>> grid of icons and select from that? If so, you'll have to write your own
>> custom widget to do the job as there's nothing of the sort in the LCDUI.
>> You can use the javax.microedition.lcdui.Canvas class and draw
>> individual Image objects onto the canvas. But, you'll have the
>> responsibility for handling key navigation, focus, etc. as well.
>>

> Thanks for that!... any examples of this where you have a grid of say 4x4
> icons where if an icon is selected you will then be taken to the next
> screen?

Not really. But, it's a relatively simple task to perform. Just extend
the Canvas class and override the paint(Graphics) method to paint the
icons and to hilight the currently selected one. Override the
keyPressed(int), converting the passed keyCode to its game action value
and then handle the navigation and selection events. Piosa cais.