Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > problem using Batik + JFreeChart

problem using Batik + JFreeChart

Lordy

Hi all,

I'm trying to get a simple demo to create a chart using JFreeChart and
render as SVG using Batik. I keep getting a null pointer exception from
Batik when calling the chart.draw() method with SVGGraphics2D...

Here is the example code besed on the PieChartDemo by David Gilbert

<snip lots of imports>

public class PieChartDemo1 {

public PieChartDemo1(PrintWriter out) throws Exception {

// Batik: Get a DOMImplementation
DOMImplementation domImpl =
GenericDOMImplementation.getDOMImplementation();

// Batik: Create an instance of org.w3c.dom.Document
Document document = domImpl.createDocument(null, "svg", null);

// Batik: Create an instance of the SVG Generator
SVGGraphics2D svgGenerator = new SVGGraphics2D(document);

// JFreeChart: create a dataset...
DefaultPieDataset data = new DefaultPieDataset();
data.setValue("One", new Double(43.2));
data.setValue("Two", new Double(10.0));
data.setValue("Three", new Double(27.5));
data.setValue("Four", new Double(17.5));
data.setValue("Five", new Double(11.0));
data.setValue("Six", new Double(19.4));

// JFreeChart: create the chart...
JFreeChart chart = ChartFactory.createPieChart("Pie Chart Demo 1", // chart title
data, // data
false, // include legend
false, //tooltips
false //URLs
);

// set the background color for the chart...
chart.setBackgroundPaint(Color.yellow);

chart.draw(svgGenerator,new Rectangle2D.Double(0,0,1000,1000),null);

// Finally, stream out SVG to the standard output using UTF-8
// character to byte encoding
boolean useCSS = true; // we want to use CSS style attribute
svgGenerator.stream(out, useCSS);

}

}

The stack trace is

at org.apache.batik.svggen.SVGGeneratorContext.double String(Unknown Source)
at org.apache.batik.svggen.SVGGraphics2D.drawString(U nknown Source)
at org.jfree.chart.TextTitle.drawHorizontal(Unknown Source)
at org.jfree.chart.TextTitle.draw(Unknown Source)
at org.jfree.chart.JFreeChart.drawTitle(Unknown Source)
at org.jfree.chart.JFreeChart.draw(Unknown Source)
at PieChartDemo1.<init>(PieChartDemo1.java:nn)

I could get more info if I recomplied the batik libraries with -g but I'm
hoping I missed something obvious. Its something to do with
rendering the title Any ideas?

Cheers,
Lordy

Lordy

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 04:33:25 +0100, Lordy wrote:

> I could get more info if I recomplied the batik libraries with -g but I'm
> hoping I missed something obvious. Its something to do with rendering the
> title Any ideas?

I've sorted it now after recompiling Batik with debug on.
The decimalFormat had not been set.

Lordy