Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Application Accessing MySQL remotely

Application Accessing MySQL remotely

Ike

I am making a simple jdbc connection a MySQL. When I run it locally (WinXP),
I connect no problem with

jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/selectr_test?user=root&password=root

However, when I try to access remotely, as a java application, to a remote
MySQL database on an Apache server under RedHat Linux:

jdbc:mysql://www.select-right.com:3306/selectr_test?user=root&password=root

It just keep timing out on me without makin the connection. Anyone...any
ideas? Thanks, Ike

Missaka Wijekoon

Ike,

Mysql may not have bound to your external ip address, or it is not
accepting requests from the outside. From the remote machine try:
telnet www.select-right.com 3306
Can telnet connect? If not, you may have to change the config in MySQL
and/or your firewall settings.

-Missaka