Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Running in Unix

Running in Unix

Ivor

Recently, I've written a GUI but it can't run properly in Unix
machine. However, it works fine under windows(under dos mode). Does
anyone have similar experiences? Does anyone know how to fix it?

Erwin Moller

Ivor wrote:

> Recently, I've written a GUI but it can't run properly in Unix
> machine. However, it works fine under windows(under dos mode). Does
> anyone have similar experiences? Does anyone know how to fix it?

I had similar problem with an applet I developed.
It looked fine under W$, but when I launched it from Mozilla under RD8,
things went wrong.
I only had trouble with AWT-classes though. (TextArea's and such.)
I would recommend to check your code for Linux, recompile, and check if
things work under W$ too.
Worked for me.
I have to admid that I coded some stuff a little careless ('when it works,
don't check it anymore') and just improved my code (AWT-wise) at bit.

Platformindependant? Not really.

Regards,
Erwin

Thomas Weidenfeller

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Ivor) writes:
> Recently, I've written a GUI but it can't run properly in Unix
> machine. However, it works fine under windows(under dos mode). Does
> anyone have similar experiences?

Yes, others have, for hundreds of different reasons.

> Does anyone know how to fix it?

You provide almost no information to help you. Please consider to do
the following:

Post to comp.lang.java.gui (and not this group), with small, complete
(compiles and runs) example source code, demonstrating the problem.

Also include all error messages (a "does not work" is not helpful), a
detailed description what goes wrong, the VM types and versions you
use, and more details regarding the operating systems (Unix is a large
family of systems). And then maybe someone can help you.

/Thomas

Wee Jin Goh

> I only had trouble with AWT-classes though. (TextArea's and such.)
> I would recommend to check your code for Linux, recompile, and check if
> things work under W$ too.

I believe that's one of the reasons they wanted Swing to handle the
drawing of all widgets.

Regards,
Wee Jin