Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Java process title editing

Java process title editing

Aleksi Kallio

I need a component that takes a String and puts it into Unix process
table by calling natively setproctitle. On Windows it can do nothing, I
don't care.

Also a possibility to use variables such as number_of_threads would be cool.

Why? When running a lot of Java server stuff on a Linux box it's really
hard to tell which process is which. Especially in production
environment "kill -9":ing makes me always feel quite uncomfortable...

If there is no such thing, then I'll have to roll my own. But better to
check first, don't wan't to reinvent stuff. Google didn't turn out
anything. ..

Gordon Beaton

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 10:51:21 +0300, Aleksi Kallio wrote:
> I need a component that takes a String and puts it into Unix process
> table by calling natively setproctitle. On Windows it can do
> nothing, I don't care.

You can't do this kind of thing in pure Java, as you probably already
realize. It should be trivial to write one using a native method
though.

> Also a possibility to use variables such as number_of_threads would
> be cool.
>
> Why? When running a lot of Java server stuff on a Linux box it's
> really hard to tell which process is which. Especially in production
> environment "kill -9":ing makes me always feel quite
> uncomfortable...

As it should. Normally you should only need to use SIGKILL (i.e. 9)
for processes that are truly stuck and unresposive to SIGHUP, SIGINT,
SIGQUIT or SIGTERM. Give them a chance to terminate cleanly.

/gordon