Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Polymorphism in xml ??

Polymorphism in xml ??

Sony Antony

We have an xml/java/W3C schema/jaxb based application.
I would like to define some elements that are extensible. In
particular the schema has an element defined as 'exception'. This has
an integer field 'errorcode' and 'reason'. But I would like to allow
the XML to send additional fields, if the particular exception
demands it ( 'status' for ex. )
Is there any way to do this without violating the schema.
If there is what will happen when I unmarshal using jaxb. ( since the
generated classes does not know about these extra fields )

I read about substitutionGroup s in xml. But it does not allow you to
add an additional field. Also it requires the substituting/derived
element to have the same type as the original.

All the examples I saw for substitutiongroup were with a single field
of type xs:string. Is it possible to use this for an element
containing multiple elements. Is there an example for this out there.
Thanks in advance.
--sony

Dynamic polymorphism vs. Static polymorphism Krivenok Dmitry C++ 13 06-01-2006 09:49 AM
Polymorphism in GridView (ASP.Net 2.0) Kevin Lawrence ASP .Net 0 02-16-2006 11:32 AM
Polymorphism in xml ?? Sony Antony XML 0 08-26-2003 03:37 PM
XML Polymorphism through inheritance? Ian Mayo XML 4 07-30-2003 02:46 PM

Advertisments