Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Sending bytes and string over sockets

Re: Sending bytes and string over sockets

Gilles Dubochet

Hello,

Have you tried wrapping the Socket's Output Stream in a
java.io.DataOutputStream ?

You have a bunch of lovely functions such as writeByte (and even
writeShort to write two bytes directly), writeChars, etc.

I think you can use this class to write first the length using writeByte
or writeShort, and then go on with your String using writeChars.

Of course, there are other solutions, such as using String's getBytes
function to get a byte array, concatenate it with the two bytes for the
length and then use a basic write(byte[] b) method on the socket
OutputStream.

I think the first solution is more pretty. I hope it will do it.

Best Regards, Gilles Dubochet.