Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > java code compression

java code compression

Blah Blah

i'm writing an applet which is growing a little out of control, and i'm
trying to cut down on the size of the final applet without reducing
functionality. is there a way to strip all excess symbols out of the applet
at compile time, or munge the internal names so that they're shorter?
coming from a C++ background, i have all of these nice, long explanatory
names for my constants - which end up taking an absurd amount of space.

any help would be appreciated!

daniel

Marko Lahma

You can use java byte (source) code obfuscator. They remove all
unnecessary code and obfuscate the variable names to short ones which
also make undestanding of decompiled code a bit harder. Sideproduct is
smaller byte code size.

for example see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/retroguard.html

Cheers,
Marko

Roedy Green

On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:32:42 -0400, "Blah Blah" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote or quoted :

>i'm writing an applet which is growing a little out of control, and i'm
>trying to cut down on the size of the final applet without reducing
>functionality. is there a way to strip all excess symbols out of the applet
>at compile time, or munge the internal names so that they're shorter?
>coming from a C++ background, i have all of these nice, long explanatory
>names for my constants - which end up taking an absurd amount of space.

You can do obfuscation which will prune it somewhat.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/obfuscator.html

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Blah Blah

thanks! i'll give this a shot.

news:bi8clp$1r5$(E-Mail Removed)...

wrote or quoted :

> cut down on the size of the final applet

make sure you put it in a jar, since that compresses the class files.

see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jar.html

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.