Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: try/catch performance

Re: try/catch performance

EnKan

"Dan Peder Eriksen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<wwM%a.14549$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "EnKan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I'm not sure that I may have interpreted correctly the
> > wording of the author who implied this, but is it true
> > that a piece of code that is encapsulated within a try block
> > executes very slowly compared to one that is NOT ?
> >
> > I have been of the belief that it is when, and only when,
> > an exception actually occurs that the "handling" of the exception
> > is probably expensive.
> >
> > Would someone please clarify !
> >
> > TIA , (and sorry for the duplicate post if there happens to
> > be one)

> Code that's inside a try block doesn't execute slowly.
> What's slow is creating an Exception(throw new Exception("some exception")).
> This is because the exception has to get the stacktrace and this takes time.
>
> Dan

Thanks very much for the clarification.

I'm trying to get all my facts about try/catch impact on performance,
if any. Is it a fact that a method containing a try/catch block
will NOT be inlined ? Also, if I'm invoking a method within a
try block which in turn would invoke other methods, but none
of which of those contain any try/catch blocks, then would there
be any inlining problems at all (w.r.t try/catch) ?

Thanks for your patience.