Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Help With a Polling Server

Help With a Polling Server

Chuck

I am embarking on a large project and was wondering if someone could
could point me to some resources on how to create a server that has a
polling mechnism. I want a server that can perform actions on a per
second accuracy.

ex: I want the server to make an SNMP request every 15 seconds to
another machine. The polling/timing/scheduling component is what I need
help with.

Thanks,
Chuck

Jos A. Horsmeier

"Chuck" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:3f462608$1_4@127.0.0.1...

> I am embarking on a large project and was wondering if someone could
> could point me to some resources on how to create a server that has a
> polling mechnism. I want a server that can perform actions on a per
> second accuracy.
>
> ex: I want the server to make an SNMP request every 15 seconds to
> another machine. The polling/timing/scheduling component is what I need
> help with.

Check out the Timer and TimerTask classes; they are your friends when it
comes to this type of repetative, timed stuff. And besides, some simple
diddling avoids the 'tight' polling stuff altogether (your processor
would love you for that

kind regards,

Jos