Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > would this be possible--newbe Q

would this be possible--newbe Q

Ford Clan

Hi all,
I have been searching for some time now and have not real found any anything
that has convinced me that this can or can not be done. So before I go
learning Java and then find out that it can't I would like ask if the
following concept would be possible.

I would like an application that would run on the client (Mac os9, X and MS
Windows) and
monitor a directory for a file. The App would wait until file had finished
being written and
would then send the binary data via HTTP to a server, with of progress
status as the file will be large.

My understanding of the rfc on http POST is that it could not be used in
this manner, is this correct

If this possible some pointers to the right primers would be handy.

If I'm asking silly questions I'm sorry, totally new to Java

Thanks in advance

Wolfram Rittmeyer

Ford Clan wrote:

> I would like an application that would run on the client (Mac os9, X and
> MS Windows) and
> monitor a directory for a file. The App would wait until file had finished
> being written and
> would then send the binary data via HTTP to a server, with of progress
> status as the file will be large.
>
> My understanding of the rfc on http POST is that it could not be used in
> this manner, is this correct

Well indeed it is possible using HTTP-POST. It is a normal
multipart/form-data request. Never have seen any code for the client-side
but for the server-side the following sites might be helpful:
http://www.oop-reserch.com/cross_servlet.html
http://www.api4java.net/

So if you know how to get the data on the server-side writing a client
should be pretty starightforward.

Good luck,

Wolfram Rittmeyer
http://www.jsptutorial.org