Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Reader on top of RandomAccessFile

Reader on top of RandomAccessFile

Harald Kirsch

I have here files with character strings in
different encodings mixed with binary data. In addition
I have to jump around the file with seek(). The latter
seems to indicate I have to use RandomAccessFile. After
having identified a section with the string data
and positioned the file pointer at its start, I would like
to read it with a Reader to take care of the character
encoding.

I could not find a combination of standard classes to
sandwich between a RandomAccessFile and the Reader, but
maybe I am just blind.

Do I have to implement my own Reader?

Thanks,
Harald.

RandomAccessFile.skipBytes() - no guarantee ak Java 6 07-09-2004 09:41 PM
Storing classes in a RandomAccessFile jpshahom Java 2 11-29-2003 02:53 AM
RandomAccessFile vs. FileChannel Christopher Dean Java 3 11-19-2003 05:21 PM
RandomAccessFile in JAR ak Java 12 10-24-2003 06:30 PM
deriving RandomAccessFile? Mike Java 0 06-28-2003 10:50 AM

Advertisments