Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Newbie Q, where is java.util?

Re: Newbie Q, where is java.util?

samspade

> I'm still very new to Java, but I come from a pretty strong Perl
> background.

> In Java, when I type something like:
> import java.util.Date;

> where, on the hard drive, is java.util.*? Is it a file I can manually
> read, or is it just a subroutine inside of java.exe?

> The reason I ask is that, in Perl if you import a separate module or
> library, you can read those external files to see what all options are
> available to you. If I can't read java.util.*, then how can I figure
> out how to code for it?

As Tor says, the import line is just to tell the compiler which class you
are referring to without having to do java.util.Date over and over (that
would be very tedious).

When the class file is run by the virtual machine, it will look for each
class in a variety of places. Most of the standard libary is inside the
lib/tools.jar file.