Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Newbie Q, where is java.util?

Re: Newbie Q, where is java.util?

Emery Z. Balint Jr.

In Java there is something called JavaDocs. You need to download (or view
online, whichever) that which is basically a Web site of all the classes in
Java. You can see all the fields, methods, etc that you can preform on that
class, such as java.util.Date. I believe this is the correct page:
http://java.sun.com/docs/ Can't really work well without that.

You should also have a file called src.zip in the directory where you
installed Java. Although something you'd normally never touch, it can be
interesting to unzip it and just peek through it. But for your purpose, you
need the JavaDocs.

Emery.
/\^/\^/\
Sun Certified Java Programmer
www.websamba.com/javarobotics/
E-stronomy - Astronomical Resources
www.websamba.com/e-stronomy/
Talking with Tonz - Dance/Alternative Music
www.soundclick.com/talkingwithtonz/

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I'm still very new to Java, but I come from a pretty strong Perl
> background.
>
> In Java, when I type something like:
> import java.util.Date;
>
> where, on the hard drive, is java.util.*? Is it a file I can manually
> read, or is it just a subroutine inside of java.exe?
>
> The reason I ask is that, in Perl if you import a separate module or
> library, you can read those external files to see what all options are
> available to you. If I can't read java.util.*, then how can I figure
> out how to code for it?
>
> TIA,
>
> Mike

Mike

> In Java there is something called JavaDocs. You need to download (or view
> online, whichever) that which is basically a Web site of all the classes in
> Java. You can see all the fields, methods, etc that you can preform on that
> class, such as java.util.Date. I believe this is the correct page:
> http://java.sun.com/docs/ Can't really work well without that.
>
> You should also have a file called src.zip in the directory where you
> installed Java. Although something you'd normally never touch, it can be
> interesting to unzip it and just peek through it. But for your purpose, you
> need the JavaDocs.

Thanks, all of you, I appreciate that. When I first started coding it,
I figured that there had to be a file somewhere on the hard drive
called java.util.whatever that was being included with the compile,
like it would be with Perl. In Perl, you can open the modules and read
all of their subroutines to find out what variables to use, etc.

I'm downloading the docs right now, so I'm sure I'll figure it out.
Thanks for the links!

Mike