Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Search algorithm question

Search algorithm question

ortoped

<h1>Hello to all of you!</h1>
<h1>Scenario:</h1> I need to develop a webpage which contains a number
of fields SSN, Id, First Name, Last Name, Date of Birth, Status,
Group, etc...

Page displays initially all fields empty. User can populate one, two ,
three or more fields and click search. Based upon the data user enters
the database lookup gets performed and another page displays a number
of records that fits the criteria.

<h1>Question:</h1> What is the best way to implement the search? Do I
need to pass one field or more or all of them to my SearchDAO? SQL
will need to change upon different parameters passed for lookup. Any
best practices for this type of scenario?
Thanks!

Miguel De Anda

"ortoped" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> <h1>Hello to all of you!</h1>
> <h1>Scenario:</h1> I need to develop a webpage which contains a number
> of fields SSN, Id, First Name, Last Name, Date of Birth, Status,
> Group, etc...
>
> Page displays initially all fields empty. User can populate one, two ,
> three or more fields and click search. Based upon the data user enters
> the database lookup gets performed and another page displays a number
> of records that fits the criteria.
>
> <h1>Question:</h1> What is the best way to implement the search? Do I
> need to pass one field or more or all of them to my SearchDAO? SQL
> will need to change upon different parameters passed for lookup. Any
> best practices for this type of scenario?
> Thanks!

First of all, this isn't a webpage so don't use html.

Anyways, its probably better if you pass the search criteria to the dbms
since it can do the search faster than you can in java or whatever. It also
makes it easier to display the data since you only have to worry about
displaying what's in the recordset, rather than scanning each record as you
display it.