Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > WebDAV

WebDAV

john bailo

just set up netbeans/jdk to work with tomcat ( newbie on all ).

i noticed that there was a WebDAV folder as well as the webapps folder and
it really confused me. i finally figured out to use the ROOT but WebDAV
got my curiosity so i looked it up and it seems to be a protocol for
'distributing web applications'.

so my question is: does anybody use it or has anybody developed web projects
for distributed use?

--
dean '04
http://deanforamerica.com

Xavier Tarrago

(see http://www.webdav.org/)
"WebDAV stands for "Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning". It is a
set of extensions to the HTTP protocol which allows users to collaboratively
edit and manage files on remote web servers".

More or less, it is an HTTP extension for Internet file managment (like
sharing directories with MS-Windows). Upload and download files, check in
and out, manage file versions.

"john bailo" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message news:

> just set up netbeans/jdk to work with tomcat ( newbie on all ).
>
> i noticed that there was a WebDAV folder as well as the webapps folder and
> it really confused me. i finally figured out to use the ROOT but WebDAV
> got my curiosity so i looked it up and it seems to be a protocol for
> 'distributing web applications'.
>
> so my question is: does anybody use it or has anybody developed web

projects
> for distributed use?
>
> --
> dean '04
> http://deanforamerica.com

Jon A. Cruz

Xavier Tarrago wrote:
> (see http://www.webdav.org/)
> "WebDAV stands for "Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning". It is a
> set of extensions to the HTTP protocol which allows users to collaboratively
> edit and manage files on remote web servers".
>
> More or less, it is an HTTP extension for Internet file managment (like
> sharing directories with MS-Windows). Upload and download files, check in
> and out, manage file versions.

Apple's iDisk is done using WebDAV
http://www.mac.com/1/iTour/tour_idisk.html

WebDAV is also supported in Windows and in OS X (and of course in Linux)

So it's used for web publishing and for "internet hard drives".