Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Invoking Windows apps from file type

Invoking Windows apps from file type

Ike

Oh this is a Windows-specific question I need to solve in Java. Assuming one
has MS Word on their system, how can I invoke word to come up with a given
document, when all I know is the document name, and that fact that if the
person were to double click the document name in Windows, it would invoke
Word with that document?

Thanks, Ike

Sandip Chitale

Does something like:

try {
Process p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec("cmd /c start c:\\resume.doc");
p.waitFor();
} catch (Throwable e) {
}

work for you?