Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Tomcat classpath and servlets outside of WEB-INF

Tomcat classpath and servlets outside of WEB-INF

Jim

Hi,
Does anybody know if it is possible to execute servlets outside the
WEB-INF directory? Somebody at work thinks that setting the classpath
would help. But I have had no luck so far. I'm currently on a
Win2000 box running Apache, Tomcat 4.1.18, j2sdk 1.4.2. And I found
out (to my dismay) that symbolic linking doesn't work with Windows. I
don't even know if symbolic linking would work if it was a linux box.
People at work say that Tomcat has worked and it was executing
servlets outside the WEB-INF directory. They are very sure on this
point. But it broke, and they decided to deleted the entire
installation (conf file and all). And the person who got it to work
is no longer here. So I'm at square one. Jserv had been running the
servlets, but the company wants to move forward. The servlets had
been mapped to Jserv through the classpath.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Jim

Christophe Vanfleteren

Jim wrote:

> Hi,
> Does anybody know if it is possible to execute servlets outside the
> WEB-INF directory? Somebody at work thinks that setting the classpath
> would help. But I have had no luck so far. I'm currently on a
> Win2000 box running Apache, Tomcat 4.1.18, j2sdk 1.4.2. And I found
> out (to my dismay) that symbolic linking doesn't work with Windows. I
> don't even know if symbolic linking would work if it was a linux box.
> People at work say that Tomcat has worked and it was executing
> servlets outside the WEB-INF directory. They are very sure on this
> point. But it broke, and they decided to deleted the entire
> installation (conf file and all). And the person who got it to work
> is no longer here. So I'm at square one. Jserv had been running the
> servlets, but the company wants to move forward. The servlets had
> been mapped to Jserv through the classpath.
>
> Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
> Jim

Newer versions of tomcat now ship with symbolic links in webapps disabled.
you should check the config file (don't know the exact key , but it should
be possible to re-enable it.

--
mvg,
Christophe Vanfleteren

Jim

Juha Laiho <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<bhb6un$26v$(E-Mail Removed)-int>...
> http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Jim) said:
> > Does anybody know if it is possible to execute servlets outside the
> >WEB-INF directory?

> It might work with CLASSPATH tricks, but why do you need this?
>
> If you told what is the problem you're trying to solve with this, perhaps
> someone would be able to propose some solution to the actual problem.

The project I'm interning on has been around for several years. They
have a directory structure like so:

C:\Main_App_dir\Minor_App\Directories_of_classes
C:\Main_App_dir\Supporting_App\...\Dir_with_classe s
C:\Main_App_dir\Other_Supporting_App\...\Dir_with_ classes

The project had been using JServ to run the servlets by passing the
Classpaths through a file to JServ. And I can't change the directory
structure because class A in
C:\Main_App_dir\Supporting_App\...\Dir_with_classe s calls class B in
C:\Main_App_dir\Other_Supporting_App\...\Dir_with_ classes.

Now the project leaders want to move to Tomcat. Any suggestions? Is
there a source code example of a webappclassloader that can be forced
to load from any directory?

Jim