Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > XML parser and writing

XML parser and writing

Roy Epperson

I've looked a year ago a the various XML parsers but got tired trying to get
them set. I have an internal project that I will manually create XML files
and I want to then read and then do "stuff".

What XML parser are "light weight" and easy to setup?

Roy

Wendy S

Roy Epperson wrote:

> I've looked a year ago a the various XML parsers but got tired trying to
> get
> them set. I have an internal project that I will manually create XML
> files and I want to then read and then do "stuff".
>
> What XML parser are "light weight" and easy to setup?

I use JDOM, and I don't worry about the parser.

String input = "...xml...here...";
Document doc = new SAXBuilder().build( new StringReader( input ) );
List elements = doc.getRootElement().getChildren("tagName");

That 'Document' is an org.jdom.Document. I seem to recall issues with
whitespace with other parsers... not an issue with JDOM.

I won't say it's blazingly fast or anything, but it works.

--
Wendy in Chandler, AZ

Jon A. Cruz

Roy Epperson wrote:
> I've looked a year ago a the various XML parsers but got tired trying to get
> them set. I have an internal project that I will manually create XML files
> and I want to then read and then do "stuff".
>
> What XML parser are "light weight" and easy to setup?

You can use the one that's built into Java as of 1.4

Or you could try AElfred.

http://saxon.sourceforge.net/aelfred.html

Thomas Weidenfeller

"Roy Epperson" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> What XML parser are "light weight" and easy to setup?

Mine is at http://freshmeat.net/projects/xmltp/

However, nowadays Java already comes with an own parser.

/Thomas