Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > WHy does not java have canBeExecuted method in its File class

WHy does not java have canBeExecuted method in its File class

Yadagiri Rao KP

Why doesn't Java have canBeExecuted method in its File class unlike
WIndows and UNix files.PLs explain

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Yadagiri Rao KP) writes:

> Why doesn't Java have canBeExecuted method in its File class unlike
> WIndows and UNix files.PLs explain

Not all platforms have the ability to identify an "executable"
attribute of a file.

Tim Tyler

Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: (E-Mail Removed) (Yadagiri Rao KP) wrote or quoted :

:>Why doesn't Java have canBeExecuted method in its File class unlike
:>WIndows and UNix files.PLs explain

: Tell us non-Unix types what this method does. Perhaps the reason is
: it would only have meaning on Unix platforms.

It could mean the system knows what to do with the file when the user
changes the CSD to its directory and types its name in at the prompt.
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ (E-Mail Removed)

Tim Tyler

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: (E-Mail Removed) (Yadagiri Rao KP) writes:

:> Why doesn't Java have canBeExecuted method in its File class unlike
:> WIndows and UNix files.PLs explain

: Not all platforms have the ability to identify an "executable"
: attribute of a file.

Not all platforms can print. Not all platforms have colour screens.

If not all platforms support something, that is not sufficient reason
for Java not to support it.

Windows has a flag for marking executable files (Properties>
Security>Advanced).

Unix does also - I guess that covers Linux, Solaris and OSX as well.
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ (E-Mail Removed)

Roedy Green

On 09 Aug 2003 10:24:12 +0200, Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>> Why doesn't Java have canBeExecuted method in its File class unlike
>> WIndows and UNix files.PLs explain

>Not all platforms have the ability to identify an "executable"
>attribute of a file.

windows itself does not have such an attribute bit. What determines if
something is executable is if there is a hook for the extension in the
registry. For example you can make .html executable in that clicking
an HTML file will execute the html by starting a browser and rendering
it.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.