Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > How to determine the Country and Organization from IP

How to determine the Country and Organization from IP

Amardeep Verma

Hi,
I would like to determine the Country and Organization from a given
IP. I have to write a JSP, which when given the IP address gives the
country and the organization to which the IP belongs. The organization
may be the ISP, or a MNC or any other corporate/government body, or it
may be of an individual. I have to do it progamitically from inside a
JSP?
Any suggestions anybody

Thanks in Advance for your reply

Grant Wagner

Amardeep Verma wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to determine the Country and Organization from a given
> IP. I have to write a JSP, which when given the IP address gives the
> country and the organization to which the IP belongs. The organization
> may be the ISP, or a MNC or any other corporate/government body, or it
> may be of an individual. I have to do it progamitically from inside a
> JSP?
> Any suggestions anybody
>
> Thanks in Advance for your reply

Do a whois lookup, then parse the results that are returned. You could do
something as simple as:

<url: http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl?...nput=127.0.0.1 />

then parse the HTML returned.

Or find some service that allows SOAP calls, or a service that returns the
data in an easier to parse format, such as XML or comma-delimited.

--
| Grant Wagner <(E-Mail Removed)>

Michael Winter

One problem with this (as I have found recently) is that there are four
***independent*** regional Internet registries. However, the American
(North) and sub-equatorial African registry (ARIN - www.arin.net) does seem
to point you to which registry does contain the information, if they don't,
on a regular basis. This will require more parsing on your behalf.

The four registries are:

APNIC (http://www.apnic.net/) - Asia (Pacific).
ARIN (http://www.arin.net/) - North America, (part of) the Caribbean, and
sub-equatorial Africa.
LACNIC (http://lacnit.net/) - Latin America and the Caribbean.
RIPE (http://www.ripe.net/) - Europe, the Middle East, Central Asia, and
Africa.

I don't know if there is a central database (there probably isn't), but some
web-sites do query all of the registries. I knew one that would allow HTTP
GET requests, but it's disappeared from my browser history (?!?!).

Michael

--
M.Winter@(I_hate_spam)blueyonder.co.uk
Remove "(I_hate_spam)" to reply.

"Grant Wagner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Amardeep Verma wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I would like to determine the Country and Organization from a given
> > IP. I have to write a JSP, which when given the IP address gives the
> > country and the organization to which the IP belongs. The organization
> > may be the ISP, or a MNC or any other corporate/government body, or it
> > may be of an individual. I have to do it progamitically from inside a
> > JSP?
> > Any suggestions anybody
> >
> > Thanks in Advance for your reply

> Do a whois lookup, then parse the results that are returned. You could do
> something as simple as:
>
> <url: http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl?...nput=127.0.0.1 />
>
> then parse the HTML returned.
>
> Or find some service that allows SOAP calls, or a service that returns the
> data in an easier to parse format, such as XML or comma-delimited.
>
> --
> | Grant Wagner <(E-Mail Removed)>

Roedy Green

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 22:12:27 +0100, "Michael Winter"
<M.Winter@(I_hate_spam)blueyonder.co.uk> wrote or quoted :

>LACNIC (http://lacnit.net/) - Latin America and the Caribbean.

that should read http://lacnit.org

For future reference, various WHOIS lookups are indexed at
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/whois.html

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy Green

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 21:23:58 +0100, Mark Thornton
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>Note that this does not reliably tell you where the user is located. For
>example I think it is AOL who use IP addresses from their US allocation
>for customers everywhere (in the UK for example).

For example, I looked up my own website's IP and discovered it was
allocated to "bigpipe". This is not me, and not my ISP but at least
one higher up the food chain.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Neomorph

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 01:40:11 GMT, Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)>
two-finger typed:

>On Fri, 08 Aug 2003 21:23:58 +0100, Mark Thornton
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :
>
>>Note that this does not reliably tell you where the user is located. For
>>example I think it is AOL who use IP addresses from their US allocation
>>for customers everywhere (in the UK for example).

>For example, I looked up my own website's IP and discovered it was
>allocated to "bigpipe". This is not me, and not my ISP but at least
>one higher up the food chain.

You could do a reverse DNS call to at least get the full name of the
machine. This will give you a name that may tell you more.

It is basically impossible to get a true geographic location on every
machine through their IP number, though. You would have to equip each
machine with a GPS system that is always accessible through the internet

Cheers.

Roedy Green

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:24:00 +0200, Jacob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or
quoted :

>I use http://www.all-nettools.com/cgi-bin/sw.cgi

that url did not work. Try this one.
http://www.all-nettools.com/tools1.htm
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy Green

> Thank you guys for sharing your thoughts with me. IF you have
>anything more to add, please do post it.

Maybe there is some relative of PING you can use to find out where a
site is. Not every site would implement it. If not, maybe it is time
to invent such an identifying protocol, that would give you a vcard
for the IP. It might also present public keys for the site.
--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Amir Pashazadeh

Hi,