Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Proper use of CharsetDecoder?

Proper use of CharsetDecoder?

Harald Kirsch

I have some text originating from XML which does not
contain tags anymore but character references like "@" .

I thought about writing my own java.nio.charset.CharsetDecoder only
to find that this more or less forces me to also supply a my
own java.nio.charset.Charset class ... and probably a CharsetProvider ...

Since all I want is the conversion of "&64;" and the like
to a Java char I don't see the point of defining a Charset. The
CharsetDecoder alone would suit me well passed right into
a new InputStreamReader(InputStream, CharsetDecoder).

Certainly I misunderstand the importance of the connection between
CharsetDecoder and Charset and should choose a different route.

Should I implement my own Reader having the converions built in? This seems
equally odd.

Any other ideas?

Harald.

Roedy Green

On 4 Aug 2003 10:13:10 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Harald Kirsch) wrote
or quoted :

>Any other ideas?

You can make it is a plain decoder class like Base64 that get called
on a byte array and produces a String.

XML can have new entities created on the fly in the DTD, which is
quite unlike all the other Charset decoders.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Newbie question on proper use of Interface dsh0105@gmail.com Java 2 10-25-2005 01:53 PM
What's the proper way to use SocketChannel.finishConnect()? - Java 1 07-26-2005 01:03 AM
Proper use of assertions Razvan Java 5 10-08-2004 02:39 PM
Proper way to use an imported constant under 'use strict'? H. Wade Minter Perl Misc 8 04-25-2004 12:58 AM
Proper (vs. desirable) use of Graphics object Wolfgang Java 7 01-23-2004 05:42 PM

Advertisments