Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > VM Version

VM Version

Manish Hatwalne

Does anyone know which JVM is supported for - Microsoft (R) VM for Java, 5.0
Release 5.0.0.3809 (IE 5.5 or 6)
I only have JDK 1.4 plugin on my machine so I am unable to detect it using -
System.getProperty("java.vm.version");
I'd be very greatful if somebody can let me know.

TIA,
- Manish

Alex Buell

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Manish Hatwalne wrote:

> Does anyone know which JVM is supported for - Microsoft (R) VM for Java, 5.0
> Release 5.0.0.3809 (IE 5.5 or 6)
> I only have JDK 1.4 plugin on my machine so I am unable to detect it using -
> System.getProperty("java.vm.version");
> I'd be very greatful if somebody can let me know.

import java.io.*;
import java.util.*;
/* import java.lang.System.*; */

public class jvm_version
{
public static void main(String args[])
{
System.out.println("JVM:\n");

System.out.println("Java version: " + System.getProperty("java.version"));
System.out.println("Java vendor: " + System.getProperty("java.vendor"));
System.out.print("Operating System: " + System.getProperty("os.name") + " ");
System.out.println(System.getProperty("os.version" ) + " on " + System.getProperty("os.arch"));
System.out.println("User: " + System.getProperty("user.name") + " in " + System.getProperty("user.dir"));
}
}
--
http://www.munted.org.uk

Telephone: A clever device by which two people in different places can
mutually admire each other's total inability to say anything coherent

Manish Hatwalne

Thanks alex, but this won't help!
Like I said, I *only* have JDK 1.4 on my macine and the plugin IE uses on my
machine is of 1.4, so VM I get is obviously 1.4, I want someone to compile
applet code with JDK 1.2 or sth and try it on IE 5.5 or 6 with default
microsoft VM (Microsoft (R) VM for Java, 5.0 Release 5.0.0.3809)
Or if somebody already knows which Java version it supports, pls do post it
here.

Thanks,
- Manish

"Alex Buell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) unted.org.uk...
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003, Manish Hatwalne wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know which JVM is supported for - Microsoft (R) VM for Java,

5.0
> > Release 5.0.0.3809 (IE 5.5 or 6)
> > I only have JDK 1.4 plugin on my machine so I am unable to detect it

using -
> > System.getProperty("java.vm.version");
> > I'd be very greatful if somebody can let me know.

> import java.io.*;
> import java.util.*;
> /* import java.lang.System.*; */
>
> public class jvm_version
> {
> public static void main(String args[])
> {
> System.out.println("JVM:\n");
>
> System.out.println("Java version: " +

System.getProperty("java.version"));
> System.out.println("Java vendor: " +

System.getProperty("java.vendor"));
> System.out.print("Operating System: " +

System.getProperty("os.name") + " ");
> System.out.println(System.getProperty("os.version" ) + " on

" + System.getProperty("os.arch"));
> System.out.println("User: " +

System.getProperty("user.name") + " in " + System.getProperty("user.dir"));
> }
> }
> --
> http://www.munted.org.uk
>
> Telephone: A clever device by which two people in different places can
> mutually admire each other's total inability to say anything coherent

Joseph Millar

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 04:08:34 -0600, "Manish Hatwalne"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thanks alex, but this won't help!
> Like I said, I *only* have JDK 1.4 on my macine and the plugin IE uses on my
> machine is of 1.4, so VM I get is obviously 1.4, I want someone to compile
> applet code with JDK 1.2 or sth and try it on IE 5.5 or 6 with default
> microsoft VM (Microsoft (R) VM for Java, 5.0 Release 5.0.0.3809)
> Or if somebody already knows which Java version it supports, pls do post it
> here.

I believe all the Microsoft JVM's are 1.1.x, exactly which one
is going to depend on IE version. On my XP box with IE version:

6.00.2800.1106.xpsp2.030422-1633

OK, I'm not kidding, seeing that version string is enough to
make me puke. Man, I hate Microsoft sometimes.

In any event, with this version of IE installed, I used jview
(the MS JVM command line tool) to dump out the system properties
and I get this:

[D:\src\java] jview Prop | grep version
java.version=1.1.4
os.version=5.1
java.class.version=45.3

My Prop class simply does a:

System.getProperties().list(System.out);

to dump the props.

Hope this helps.

--Joe

Joseph Millar

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:36:51 GMT, Joseph Millar <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> In any event, with this version of IE installed, I used jview
> (the MS JVM command line tool) to dump out the system properties
> and I get this:
>
> [D:\src\java] jview Prop | grep version
> java.version=1.1.4
> os.version=5.1
> java.class.version=45.3

Oh, and jview.exe has a version resource of 5.00.3810 if
that matters to you.

--Joe

Manish Hatwalne

I know about -
System.getProperties().list(System.out);
In fact this is what I use to see properties for stand alone programs but as
you'd understand, it is not useful in my case.

Thanks a ton for reminding me about jview, I had competely forgotten abt
it.. That should solve my problem.

Thanks,
- Manish

news:(E-Mail Removed)...