Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Parsing - YACC to java

Parsing - YACC to java

exits funnel

Hello,

I've recently been tasked with writing a parser for MDX (roughly
speaking, SQL for OLAP). One such parser has already been written
within our organization and I was able to obtain the .y and .l files
which were created for that project. However, my implementation
language is Java so I can't use Bison/Flex directly. Still, I'd rather
not have to construct the MDX grammar from scratch. I've found one
piece of software, jb (http://www.cs.colorado.edu/serl/misc/jb.html)
which converts a parser generated with Bison to java. However, it seems
that this project is no longer being maintained and there is very little
documentation: both of these issues make me a bit reluctant to commit to
using it. So, with all that rambling out of the way, here are my questions:

1) Does anyone here have any experience with jb?
2) Can anyone recommend any alternative products for generating a java
parser from a Yacc/Bison grammar?

Thanks in advance!

-exits

Roedy Green

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 04:16:27 GMT, exits funnel
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>1) Does anyone here have any experience with jb?
>2) Can anyone recommend any alternative products for generating a java
>parser from a Yacc/Bison grammar?

I have been collecting various parsing projects. Have a look at
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/parser.html to see if there is anything
there that can help. The most popular stuff seems to be JavaCC.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Thomas Weidenfeller

exits funnel <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> 2) Can anyone recommend any alternative products for generating a java
> parser from a Yacc/Bison grammar?

yacc: Maybe http://byaccj.sourceforge.net/. Written in C and/or C++,
but can generate Java code.

lex: Maybe http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~appel/modern/java/JLex/ or
http://www.jflex.de/

/Thomas

exits funnel

Roedy Green wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 04:16:27 GMT, exits funnel
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :
>

>>1) Does anyone here have any experience with jb?
>>2) Can anyone recommend any alternative products for generating a java
>>parser from a Yacc/Bison grammar?

> I have been collecting various parsing projects. Have a look at
> http://mindprod.com/jgloss/parser.html to see if there is anything
> there that can help. The most popular stuff seems to be JavaCC.
>
> --
> Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Roedy, thanks for taking the time to reply; I'll check it out. By the
way, I've used the Java Glossary often in the past; it's a great
resouce, thanks for maintaining it.

-exits

Re: Parsing English with lex and yacc Arthur T. Murray C++ 5 01-26-2004 06:35 PM
Best lex/yacc for C++? Moonlit C++ 18 10-14-2003 05:57 PM
[OT] Re: problem : yacc v.s c++ John Harrison C++ 0 08-28-2003 05:55 AM
YACC-LEX parsing overflow Alvaro Puente C Programming 1 07-10-2003 09:38 AM
Re: [OT, welcome msg] Yacc/G++ parser probs. Mike Wahler C++ 2 07-08-2003 08:39 PM

Advertisments