Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > JMS and servlets

JMS and servlets

iksrazal

I have a long running task - parsing thousands of files with a thread
pool. I need to create a web interface to start this task, which can
take hours.

I'm having a hard time finding JMS examples that fit this scenario -
sending a task from a servlet to start something long. My questions
are:

1) P2P or Publish/Subscribe?
2) Consume a message asynchronously or synchronously?
3) Should the thread pool program run in the container or outside of
it?
4) How/Who do I notify for success or failure of the thread program
started by JMS? Email with JavaMail sent from the thread program?

Thanks for any advice or links,
iksrazal