Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: STRUTS: c:set alternative to render dynamic links

Re: STRUTS: c:set alternative to render dynamic links

Brock Heinz

Hey Jack,

I'm not sure what you mean when you say 'do it all in Struts' (but I'm
assuming you mean that you want to do all of the data rendering with
Struts tags rather than JSTL. Your direction (*that I am assuming*)
is backwards from what the Struts contributors and developers are
saying. They are urging developers to move towards using JSTL
exclusively in their applications:

http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/use...dev_logic.html

http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/use.../dev_bean.html

But, if you want to just use Struts, I would ditch the <html:link ../>
tag and just use a good old fashion HTML <a></a> tag.

<logic:iterate id="person" name="findpersonresults">
property="seq""/>Your Link Here (maybe use another <bean:write../></a>

Basically it boils down to this: the Struts tags are pretty weak.
The core developers know it, and much of the community knows it. Use
JSTL when possible and begin preparing for Java Server Faces (Craig
McClanahan is the founder of Struts while also being the Spec Lead for
faces). Here is the definitive mail archive for Struts questions:

http://www.mail-archive.com/struts-u...ta.apache.org/

Hope this helps.

Brock