Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Looking for developer guidelines for planning for testing

Looking for developer guidelines for planning for testing

lvirden@yahoo.com

As I read through various books on testing and QA, I see authors mention
that it is much better to plan for testing during design and development
than to try to retrofit testing support later.

And that seems like a very obvious point to make.

What I've not found is good advice and recommendations to a developer on
how to do this. Anyone found any good resources, or at least good
recommendations, on how to productively plan during design and development
for testing so that one achieves consistent support in the code?

--
Tenth Tcl/Tk Conference is this week! <http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2003>

Chris Smith

> As I read through various books on testing and QA, I see authors mention
> that it is much better to plan for testing during design and development
> than to try to retrofit testing support later.
>
> And that seems like a very obvious point to make.
>
> What I've not found is good advice and recommendations to a developer on
> how to do this. Anyone found any good resources, or at least good
> recommendations, on how to productively plan during design and development
> for testing so that one achieves consistent support in the code?

For the extreme position, try looking for the term "test driven
development". Doing this for a while certainly teaches a person to
write testable code.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Drew Volpe

Last time we met, (E-Mail Removed) <(E-Mail Removed)> had said:

> As I read through various books on testing and QA, I see authors mention
> that it is much better to plan for testing during design and development
> than to try to retrofit testing support later.
>
> And that seems like a very obvious point to make.

Unit tests built into the code at every stage of development are
a great way to accomplish this. It's hard to stay disciplined and
make sure they're automated and run nightly/weekly, but doing
so is very valuable.

dv

The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury. Due north of the
center we find the South End. This is not to be confused with South
Boston which lies directly east from the South End. North of the South
End is East Boston and southwest of East Boston is the North End.

Drew Volpe, mylastname at hcs o harvard o edu

Bob Kranson

I've used Compuware's Reconcile to create requirements, QADirector to track
their implementation and develop test cases, then QARun to implement tests
and trace back to the requirements. Have a look:
http://www.compuware.com/products/#quality or a more unified web-view using
CARS: http://www.compuware.com/products/cars/default.htm

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bg8n4u$h11$(E-Mail Removed)...

> As I read through various books on testing and QA, I see authors mention
> that it is much better to plan for testing during design and development
> than to try to retrofit testing support later.
>
> And that seems like a very obvious point to make.
>
> What I've not found is good advice and recommendations to a developer on
> how to do this. Anyone found any good resources, or at least good
> recommendations, on how to productively plan during design and development
> for testing so that one achieves consistent support in the code?
>
> --
> Tenth Tcl/Tk Conference is this week!

<http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2003>
> Even if explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting
> should be construed as representing my employer's opinions.

Phlip

lvirden wrote:

> What I've not found is good advice and recommendations to a developer on
> how to do this. Anyone found any good resources, or at least good
> recommendations, on how to productively plan during design and development
> for testing so that one achieves consistent support in the code?

If developers write tests at the same time as they write code, they will
trade many hours running a debugger for just a few hours writing tests. They
make writing the code faster. Research /Test Driven Development/.

--
Phlip
http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?TestFirstUserInterfaces

Looking for some best practice guidelines Mike Silva HTML 15 02-25-2009 12:03 AM
unit testing guidelines Jacob C++ 72 03-30-2006 06:32 PM
unit testing guidelines Jacob Java 69 03-30-2006 06:32 PM
Re: unit testing guidelines Andrew McDonagh Java 0 03-20-2006 10:33 PM
ASP.NET developer guidelines when deploying to a server with Sharepoint Dave ASP .Net 0 09-09-2005 07:03 AM

Advertisments