Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: A good IDE??

Reply
Thread Tools

Re: A good IDE??

 
 
stig
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2003
Tim Tyler wrote:
> In comp.lang.java.programmer Jon A. Cruz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> : Aside from being more responsive (even on a 1.7 GHz machine), the main
> : thing is that Emacs is a very mature editor/IDE by programmers for
> : programmers. [...]
>
> A sad day when "Eight Megs And Constantly Swapping" is described as
> responsive


emacs is not swapping, where did you get that from, i use emac on
different platforms and it does not result in any swapping.

dont be afraid of the freedom emacs gives you.
in the beginning emacs tend to feel like hell broke loose in the
computer, but once you find out the basic commands you will never leave it.
have used it for 2 years, it outperforms all other editors i have tried,
editing using commands (cut, copy, paste, search, replace, etc.) is done
conciderably faster in emacs then in most other editors, especially if
you are on *nix-platforms.

stig

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Roedy Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2003
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 15:15:41 +0200, stig <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote or quoted :

>dont be afraid of the freedom emacs gives you.
>in the beginning emacs tend to feel like hell broke loose in the
>computer,


I was on a project where the boss was a EMACS ethusiast and wanted us
to use Linux and EMACS. What a nightmare that went on for months.
EVERYTHING sends you back to square 1 to learn again -- even cut and
paste. Every reflex honed over decades was useless. EMACS is its own
universe. I flipped to SlickEdit which can be configured for CUA and
suddenly I could get work done again.

You need no know a lot before you can even tie your shoelaces. This is
very frustrating when you are trying to meet a deadline. You can see
the power of the LISP, but without a substantial time investment, that
power is out of your grasp.

I wrote an EMACS mini guide for people getting started to help deal
with the overwhelm. See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/linux.html


--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
Coaching, problem solving, economical contract programming.
See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jgloss.html for The Java Glossary.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Tim Tyler
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-30-2003
In comp.lang.java.programmer stig <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Tim Tyler wrote:

:> A sad day when "Eight Megs And Constantly Swapping" is described as
:> responsive

: emacs is not swapping, where did you get that from [...]

Search for "Eight Megs And Constantly Swapping" and you will see my sources.

: dont be afraid of the freedom emacs gives you.
: in the beginning emacs tend to feel like hell broke loose in the
: computer, but once you find out the basic commands you will never leave it.

Emacs is a dinosaur.
--
__________
|im |yler http://timtyler.org/ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Greg Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2003
javadesigner wrote:

I like IntelliJ alot. I've spoke with few who have used it. It's the
only environment I've ever used for Java developement. Anyone know
weaknesses in that other ISE's may be better at?

>
>
>> I flipped to SlickEdit which can be configured for CUA and
>> suddenly I could get work done again.
>>

>
> SlickEdit is nice but it's amazing to me that there is no way
> to enable line wrapping on slickedit (even on the latest 8.x
> release). So if you have long lines (common in java println(..)
> statements and/or html text) that scroll past the right end of
> your window, slickedit cannot linewrap and show you that line
> in it's entirety. You *will* have to scroll to the right to
> see the rest of that line.
>
> This is so mind-blowingly stupid, I cannot even comprehend what
> the slickedit team was thinking when they decided not to implement this.
>
> Best regards,
>
> --j
>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
Roedy Green
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2003
On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:51:41 -0400, javadesigner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>slickedit cannot linewrap and show you that line
>in it's entirety.


I use the beautify command repeatedly. This keeps lines short. I had
never even noticed the problem until you brought it up.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.
Coaching, problem solving, economical contract programming.
See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jgloss.html for The Java Glossary.
 
Reply With Quote
 
_.-=
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      07-31-2003
Suggestion 1:
Send the guys at SlickEdit an email with your request

Suggestion 2:
Get an 1800x1600 video adapter and monitor!


"javadesigner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>
> > I flipped to SlickEdit which can be configured for CUA and
> > suddenly I could get work done again.
> >

>
> SlickEdit is nice but it's amazing to me that there is no way
> to enable line wrapping on slickedit (even on the latest 8.x
> release). So if you have long lines (common in java println(..)
> statements and/or html text) that scroll past the right end of
> your window, slickedit cannot linewrap and show you that line
> in it's entirety. You *will* have to scroll to the right to
> see the rest of that line.
>
> This is so mind-blowingly stupid, I cannot even comprehend what
> the slickedit team was thinking when they decided not to
> implement this.
>
> Best regards,
>
> --j
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Drew Volpe
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2003
Last time we met, stig <(E-Mail Removed)> had said:
> Tim Tyler wrote:
> > In comp.lang.java.programmer Jon A. Cruz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > : Aside from being more responsive (even on a 1.7 GHz machine), the main
> > : thing is that Emacs is a very mature editor/IDE by programmers for
> > : programmers. [...]
> >
> > A sad day when "Eight Megs And Constantly Swapping" is described as
> > responsive

>
> emacs is not swapping, where did you get that from, i use emac on
> different platforms and it does not result in any swapping.



Kids today! Don't know what life was like with 4 MB of RAM.


dv

--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The geographical center of Boston is in Roxbury. Due north of the
center we find the South End. This is not to be confused with South
Boston which lies directly east from the South End. North of the South
End is East Boston and southwest of East Boston is the North End.

Drew Volpe, mylastname at hcs o harvard o edu
 
Reply With Quote
 
David Zimmerman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2003


Drew Volpe wrote:
> Last time we met, stig <(E-Mail Removed)> had said:
>
>> Tim Tyler wrote:
>>
>>>In comp.lang.java.programmer Jon A. Cruz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>>: Aside from being more responsive (even on a 1.7 GHz machine), the main
>>>: thing is that Emacs is a very mature editor/IDE by programmers for
>>>: programmers. [...]
>>>
>>>A sad day when "Eight Megs And Constantly Swapping" is described as
>>>responsive

>>
>>
>> emacs is not swapping, where did you get that from, i use emac on
>> different platforms and it does not result in any swapping.

>
>
>
> Kids today! Don't know what life was like with 4 MB of RAM.
>
>

How about 4k of RAM, er, core

 
Reply With Quote
 
Chris Smith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2003
Drew Volpe wrote:
>
> Kids today! Don't know what life was like with 4 MB of RAM.


Huh. I'm about as much of a "kid" as anyone who works in software
development, I suppose, and even I have worked on systems with as little
as 4K, and did most of my early programming for five or six years on a
C64. At least I hope I haven't graduated to "old fart" already.

I don't think 4MB is as far off in the past as you are imagining.

--
www.designacourse.com
The Easiest Way to Train Anyone... Anywhere.

Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer/Technical Trainer
MindIQ Corporation
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jon A. Cruz
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      08-04-2003
Drew Volpe wrote:
>
>
> Kids today! Don't know what life was like with 4 MB of RAM.
>
>



4 MB?!?!?

Luxury!!!


Why, I remember working at a multimedia company when the lead artist got
a PC at home with 4MB. We were amazed at the overkill. For anything we
were making, there was no way we could target anything near 4MB. And
this was even in the waning days of Windows 3.1.


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
good algorithms come with practice and reading good code/books? vlsidesign C Programming 26 01-02-2007 09:50 AM
Good slide scanning service vs. good slide scanner for Do-It-Yourself? LAshooter Digital Photography 0 06-25-2005 07:14 AM
Signs are good, but WAN no good =?Utf-8?B?bmV0bnV0?= Wireless Networking 2 08-21-2004 12:41 PM
JLO situation+ why fastglass is good+DSLR is good Hugo Drax Digital Photography 0 01-17-2004 11:41 PM
Not even a newbee. Good at school course. please advise good start sikka noel C++ 8 08-05-2003 06:43 AM



Advertisments