Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Blowing the doors to Palm - Java programming for Tungsten handhelds

Blowing the doors to Palm - Java programming for Tungsten handhelds

RaBi

> Take a look at this simple application, for instance:
> class SimpleApp {
> System.out.println("Dude, this is neat!");
> }

wow... that's cool. Doesn't even compile!

asj

RaBi wrote:

> > Take a look at this simple application, for instance:
> > class SimpleApp {
> > System.out.println("Dude, this is neat!");
> > }

> wow... that's cool. Doesn't even compile!

LOL. perhaps actually including a main method (which is executed first
when an app is called) would help, as in:

public class SimpleApp {

public static void main (String [] args)
{
System.out.println("hello.");
}

}

username

"asj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ananda Sim wrote:
> >
> > Hi
> >
> > Thanks for that overview and references. Whilst we wait for J2ME for
> > PocketPC (I assume there is none), is it worth bothering playing with
> > alternatives like EWE?
> >
> > Ananda
> >

> there are actually JVMs for windows handhelds, eg.:
> http://www.blueboard.com/j2me/notes/2002_7_26.htm
>
> however, there is some concern that sun has decided not to move forward
> with anything for the latest windows ce, nor does there seem to be
> anyone taking the ball in their stead.

well thats bad news for java. Add to it that within 2 years, 30% of all new
cars come equipped with win ce devices ....

username

"asj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> All Palm Tungstens will now ship with the JVM (Java Virtual Machine),
> which means that Java programmers can now write directly to these
> handhelds (with no need to download the jvm - an annoying and
> debilitating thing when you want to easily reach end-users).

yawn

asj

username wrote:
> well thats bad news for java. Add to it that within 2 years, 30% of all new
> cars come equipped with win ce devices ....

not particularly, since there will be probably be MORE cars coming out
using J2ME, which has GM and others behind it.
note that j2me will run on top of wince (or any other os like linux or
palm) if needed, OR it may run by itself as the OS - so by knowing java
you can also program on top of whatever OS is used....it's the best of
any world.

also, wince seems to be stumbling around:

for example, in the handheld market in europe:
"In the European market from Q2 2002 to Q2 2003, Palm and Sony (both
Palm OS) showed significant year-on-year growth of 45 per cent and 64
per cent, respectively. HP's shipments (Windows CE) grew too, by 2%, but
not enough to prevent its market share TUMBLING from 36% to 25%."

in the case of handheld phones, smartcards, and SIM cards for handsets,
it's not even close, with J2ME crushing wince in terms of deployment and
commercial success (not vaporware).
http://www.blueboard.com/j2me/why.htm

Brandon Blackmoor

username wrote:
> "asj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> however, there is some concern that sun has decided not to
>> move forward with anything for the latest windows ce

> well thats bad news for java.

WinCE is crap. Why bother supporting it?

> Add to it that within 2 years, 30% of all new
> cars come equipped with win ce devices ....

That'll last until auto manufacturers learn what computer manufacturers
already know. People grudgingly accept that their computer crash
periodically. They won't be so patient when their car's expensive
WinCE-based dashboard is as unreliable as their AOL account.

asj

Roedy Green wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 20:30:34 +0200, "RaBi" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote or quoted :
>
> >I think it requires at least all Palm devices and Sonys to build a solid
> >market.

> Palm apps don't have to be complex to be valuable. Canadian doctors
> pay for example for a little app that just lists the prices of various
> medications in US dollars. It does not even convert to Canadian for
> them automatically much less give them much lower Canadian prices.

very good point (although i'm not sure how it relates to what he just
said)...a lot of people have the mistaken notion that to be successful,
an app has to do everything but wash the kitchen sink, and it has to do
it in color. in fact, there are large numbers of small niches that could
be profitably exploited if researched and marketed correctly.

Eric Lindsay's spam trap

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 21:43:02 +0200, "username" <e-mail@adress>
wrote:

>well thats bad news for java. Add to it that within 2 years, 30% of all new
>cars come equipped with win ce devices ....

Hmm, adding a crash prone OS to a crash prone transportation
system. Great!

As a point of interest, what handy functions is this expected to
add?

--
Eric Lindsay http://www.ericlindsay.com/guff
Airlie Beach Qld Australia - Great Barrier Reef entry

RaBi

"asj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> All Palm Tungstens will now ship with the JVM (Java Virtual Machine),
> which means that Java programmers can now write directly to these
> handhelds (with no need to download the jvm - an annoying and
> debilitating thing when you want to easily reach end-users).

BTW: I just tried IBM's JVM. Doesn't run on my Zire71 but according to spec
it's not supposed to be ready for PalmOS 5. Runs without probs on my Palm V
with OS3.5 but a small HelloWorld takes 14 sec to show up. Still Tungstens
are much faster so we'll see.

#rb

asj

Arthur Hagen wrote:
> As for java, I doubt that's a wise choice in situations where microseconds
> count. I hope they don't use it for things like ABS braking, suspension
> assist or airbag release. Else the car might throw more than a runtime
> exception.

believe it or not, real time java is starting to compete (and win)
against ADA and C alternatives in real world situations.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=re...0xx.com&rnum=2

Palm Tungsten T3 Meddonna Computer Support 1 03-06-2006 05:57 AM
Programming palm tungsten t5 milton ASP .Net Mobile 0 07-19-2005 06:04 AM
SIP for Palm Tungsten C SPD VOIP 0 10-09-2004 12:18 PM
Has anyone used a Palm Tungsten T and Nokia5100 on vodafone to browse the web in nz? Jim Williams NZ Computing 0 09-05-2004 08:26 PM
Palm Tungsten E -- US Holiday Plug-Ins Won Dampchin Computer Support 1 06-05-2004 07:09 PM

Advertisments