Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: XSLT Performance with Xalan

Re: XSLT Performance with Xalan

Christopher Blunck

Hi Bradley.

I believe the Xalan in the JDK is old (v2.3 or maybe v2.4). The
latest version (v2.5) of Xalan is really quick.

-c

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Bradley E. Rintoul) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> Hello:
>
> I have a pretty heinous transformation I have to perform using XSLT.
> I've sucessfully done this using the JAXP stuff and I understand that
> it uses the Xalan processor by default. I was wondering if I could
> find out exactly which version of the Xalan stuff is being used. Is
> this possible without explicitly saying which .jar to use through,
> say, the jaxp.properties file?
>
> The problem I'm having is that the transformation I'm performing is
> taking about 3 times as long using the Apache Xalan Java stuff as the
> Microsoft XSL processor... This doesn't seem right to me, but perhaps
> I've just fallen prey to believing that Java can be expected to run
> nearly as well as compiled code... Is there anything I can do to
> figure out why the transformation is so slow?
>
> Thanks...

Bradley E. Rintoul

(E-Mail Removed) (Christopher Blunck) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> Hi Bradley.
>
> I believe the Xalan in the JDK is old (v2.3 or maybe v2.4). The
> latest version (v2.5) of Xalan is really quick.
>

> -c
>
> (E-Mail Removed) (Bradley E. Rintoul) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> > Hello:

I sure hope so. I might be doing something wrong but I don't think
so. I just realized that I was using a file as the input source for
the transform so I changed it to a DOM document and it seems even
SLOWER! What's happening here?

Is this possible that a DOM is not the fastest way to perform the
transform?

I will try to get the latest Xalan and see if anything changes...