Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > really newbie: http & sockets

really newbie: http & sockets

How can I retrieve with Java (applet) the remote file:
http://domain.com/images.php?GetNextImage

Basically I am newbie in Java. I know only the syntax but almost nothing of
the API.
But I have only one month to create a IRC Client with advertisements as Java
Applet...

I have only Java Tutorial & J2SE API from www.java.sun.com
Are enough?

Lot of thanks!

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen

"<- Chameleon ->" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Basically I am newbie in Java. I know only the syntax but almost nothing of
> the API.
> But I have only one month to create a IRC Client with advertisements as Java
> Applet...

Um, it will take you at least one month alone to learn to use the
language properly...

> I have only Java Tutorial & J2SE API from www.java.sun.com
> Are enough?

You also need docs for the IRC protocol, e.g. read the two documents
here:

ftp://ftp.irc.org/irc/docs/rfc2810.txt
ftp://ftp.irc.org/irc/docs/rfc2812.txt

Manish Jethani

Tor Iver Wilhelmsen wrote:

> "<- Chameleon ->" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>

>>Basically I am newbie in Java. I know only the syntax but almost nothing of
>>the API.
>>But I have only one month to create a IRC Client with advertisements as Java
>>Applet...

> Um, it will take you at least one month alone to learn to use the
> language properly...

Which proves that Java is not suitable for your task. Whoever
told you that you could learn Java in a few days? Java is for
advanced programmers.

Consider using Python instead. You can learn most of the
language in 3-5 days, and there's tons of APIs out there.
You might never come back to Java

If this is for Windows, it's also possible to create native
executables for Windows (don need no JRE).

Bruce Eckel, author of "Thinking in C++" and "Thinking in Java",
has plenty of opinion on Python:

http://www.artima.com/intv/tipping.html

See you on comp.lang.python

-Manish

--
Manish Jethani (manish.j at gmx.net)
phone (work) +91-80-51073488

> >>Basically I am newbie in Java. I know only the syntax but almost nothing
of
> >>the API.
> >>But I have only one month to create a IRC Client with advertisements as

Java
> >>Applet...

> > Um, it will take you at least one month alone to learn to use the
> > language properly...

> Which proves that Java is not suitable for your task. Whoever
> told you that you could learn Java in a few days? Java is for
> advanced programmers.

I 'salut' you guru of Java

> Consider using Python instead. You can learn most of the
> language in 3-5 days, and there's tons of APIs out there.
> You might never come back to Java

Stop me ;-P

> If this is for Windows, it's also possible to create native
> executables for Windows (don need no JRE).

They need it in java applet, so ...I learn

Roedy Green

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 16:45:08 +0300, "<- Chameleon ->"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>Basically I am newbie in Java. I know only the syntax but almost nothing of
>the API.

see http://mindprod.com/fileio.html GET and POST HTTP.

Get Marty Hall's book mentioned at
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/cgi.html/