Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: advice on language/database choice

Re: advice on language/database choice

Roedy Green

On 23 Jul 2003 10:10:31 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Brian Cido) wrote or
quoted :

>Sounds fine to me except that we just spent a lot of time and $
>developing the C++ and access version, so I'm a bit cautious about the
>need to move everything over to another system. While I have heard
>many of the advantages, I am curious if there are any disadvantages or
>limitations to using mysql and java.

Access is a toy database. It lets end users build small databases
without any data validation. They tend to fall apart as the
complexity grows, the number of users increases, or the size of the
database grows. Access is not properly designed for multiusers. There
is no server process to co-ordinate access.

MySQL scales much better, though it requires more skill to get
started.

Your current system requires a rather rare combination of skills.
Doing it all in Java will mean pretty well any Java developer will be
able to come in, understand it, and make modifications.

If you plan to keep this program for many more years and extend it,
the Java route will pay off. If not, you will be better off to just
limp by with what you have.

I presume your existing code is buggy and every time a programmer
fixed one bug it created two more. Java is much better that way.
Programs tend to be bug free because of the strong type checking and
enforced runtime checking and the way Java prevents you from doing
"clever" things that other programmers can't understand.

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Tommy McDaniel

Roedy Green <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> Java is much better that way. Programs tend to be bug free...

Surely you jest, right? I didn't know this was crossposted to a comedy group.

Tommy McDaniel