Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > 'basename' function (without re-inventing the wheel)

'basename' function (without re-inventing the wheel)

Ronald Fischer

Does someone know if there is in the JDK something like the 'basename' function
from Unix or C, i.e. a function which takes a path such as

foo/bar/baz

and returns the filename, i.e.

baz.

Of course it is easy to implement this, but I don't want to re-invent the wheel,
if such a function is already available.

Ronald

Jacob

Ronald Fischer wrote:
> Does someone know if there is in the JDK something like the 'basename' function
> from Unix or C, i.e. a function which takes a path such as
>
> foo/bar/baz
>
> and returns the filename, i.e.
>
> baz.
>
> Of course it is easy to implement this, but I don't want to re-invent the wheel,
> if such a function is already available.
>
> Ronald

The function is available in java.io.File:

String name = (new File("foo/bar/baz")).getName();