Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Java > Re: Push Technology?

Re: Push Technology?

Lothar Kimmeringer

On 21 Jul 2003 15:54:15 -0700, Bob Rivers wrote:

> Is it possible for a servlet to send data to a browser, even if the
> browser does't send a request? The idea is to receive data without
> asking for it.

If the browser is only capable of HTTP, the answer is no.
If the client-system is e.g. a WAP 1.2 capable browser it's
a definitive maybe

The only way to implement some "kind" of push is to let the
servlet keep the connection open to each client indefinetly and
print out the new lines of the chat all the time. The effect in
the browser will be that the animated loading image (mostly on
the upper right side) will never stop, because the page is
never finished to be loaded.

AFAIK all HTML-based chat-systems are working that way.

Regards, Lothar
--
Lothar Kimmeringer E-Mail: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

questions!

Roedy Green

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 01:03:57 +0200, Lothar Kimmeringer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote or quoted :

>If the browser is only capable of HTTP, the answer is no.
>If the client-system is e.g. a WAP 1.2 capable browser it's
>a definitive maybe

How is it that porn sites manage to pop up dozens of windows on your
screen? Do they send them all in response to your initial request and
they all come back in one great lump?

--
Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Jon A. Cruz

Roedy Green wrote:
> How is it that porn sites manage to pop up dozens of windows on your
> screen? Do they send them all in response to your initial request and
> they all come back in one great lump?

They feed in javascript that opens new windows, each requesting new
content. All fed from the original HTML requested.

Ike

I never get porn sites....hmmmm....what are you doing Jon, Roedy....that
this is happeneing to only you guys? -Ike

"Jon A. Cruz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Roedy Green wrote:
> > How is it that porn sites manage to pop up dozens of windows on your
> > screen? Do they send them all in response to your initial request and
> > they all come back in one great lump?

> They feed in javascript that opens new windows, each requesting new
> content. All fed from the original HTML requested.

dhek bhun kho

"Ike" <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:29:59 +0000:

> I never get porn sites....hmmmm....what are you doing Jon, Roedy....that
> this is happeneing to only you guys? -Ike

ROFL He's got to spend the money he earns for his website on something
else, eh? The dozen requests you get is actually very easy to make,
just dump some javascript code in the <body onload="dosomething()" onunload="dosomething()"> tag
and you can flood the system with an infinite loop. It's very easy to code.

> "Jon A. Cruz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Roedy Green wrote:
>> > How is it that porn sites manage to pop up dozens of windows on your
>> > screen? Do they send them all in response to your initial request and
>> > they all come back in one great lump?

>> They feed in javascript that opens new windows, each requesting new
>> content. All fed from the original HTML requested.

Chris Smith

Ike wrote:
> I never get porn sites....hmmmm....what are you doing Jon, Roedy....that
> this is happeneing to only you guys? -Ike

I think it's impossible to post to newsgroups much (at least, without
address munging) and not get email with porn site advertisements.
Luckily, I read mail with a browser configured not to do HTML and
JavaScript, so I just see lots of HTML code, rather than having
gazillions of porn windows pop up.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

dhek bhun kho

"Jon A. Cruz" <(E-Mail Removed)>, Tue, 22 Jul 2003 19:59:03 -0700:

> Ike wrote:
>> I never get porn sites....hmmmm....what are you doing Jon, Roedy....that
>> this is happeneing to only you guys? -Ike

> Mainly hitting stale Google links that go to domains that have been
> taken over by new management.

Don't worry. It's very human.

--
real programmers communicate asynchronously..

Josef Garvi

dhek bhun kho wrote:

> ROFL He's got to spend the money he earns for his website on something
> else, eh? The dozen requests you get is actually very easy to make,
> just dump some javascript code in the <body onload="dosomething()" onunload="dosomething()"> tag
> and you can flood the system with an infinite loop. It's very easy to code.

Use Mozilla as your web browser, and you'll be spared from all such
undesired popups!

--
Josef Garvi

"Reversing desertification through drough tolerant trees"
http://www.eden-foundation.org/

new income - better environment - more food - less poverty